USAPA resignation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
1. I don't fly for US Air.
2. There is no more "your" or "their" flying. You have a fundamentaly NEW airline to deal with. Your old US Air is road kill. It's over. You're lucky you got a fresh start frankly.
3. You acknowledge that the pilots are just along for the ride so why waste your time asking other pilots to return "your" flying. Exhibit A that your old way of life is rotting in it's grave.

As to question 2.

ALPA. That's your answer....is that what you wanted to hear?

First of all congrats on not flying for US Air. May you be so fortunate that you never fly under such a self serving, opportunistic management scheme as the current US Air. Because you don't fly for US Air, you are painfully ignorant as to the division of labor at the current US Airways. Basically the merger is complete in name only. Until a single contract is ratified, Us Air operates under the provisions of the transition agreement which keeps the majority of flying separated into AWA (west) flying and US Air (east) flying. I do apologize for assuming that you are/were form the AWA side. Due to the passion and ignorance of your posts, I wrongly assumed you were a west pilot about to spew the never tiresome mantra "Our pilots saved your company therefore we should be placed above you in the seniority list".

As to your answer to my second question, I ask just 1 more. Why is it that you nor I could find any example or legal precedence of a union or association placing a new hire above a 16 year industry veteran on a seniority list prior to the Nic award?

I simply cannot comprehend the idea that a guy on the bottom of the seniority list (on the East) should be able to pole-vault into the left seat of an entirely different company (on the West).

Neither can USAPA, which is why their proposal doesn't even remotely resemble your "pole-vault" story. That would be completely impossible due to the extremely west-favorable C&R's, but I know you guys like your drama. Your remark is inflammatory and shows that you haven't even taken the time to see what their C&R's say. When and if you do (which I know is not likely) you'll find that there are numerous advantages to USAPA's proposal for westies.

As for your remark that USAPA isn't representing west pilots....you must not be including all the termination cases they've saved you guys on, the contract implementation stuff, scheduling stuff, and about a hundred other things they are doing for all of us every day. But alas, this is the Internet, where accountability shouldn't get in the way of making a bold statement, ain't that right get2flyin?

Neither can USAPA, which is why their proposal doesn't even remotely resemble your "pole-vault" story. That would be completely impossible due to the extremely west-favorable C&R's, but I know you guys like your drama. Your remark is inflammatory and shows that you haven't even taken the time to see what their C&R's say. When and if you do (which I know is not likely) you'll find that there are numerous advantages to USAPA's proposal for westies.

As for your remark that USAPA isn't representing west pilots....you must not be including all the termination cases they've saved you guys on, the contract implementation stuff, scheduling stuff, and about a hundred other things they are doing for all of us every day. But alas, this is the Internet, where accountability shouldn't get in the way of making a bold statement, ain't that right get2flyin?

I have read the C&R's many times. The do not favor the west, PERIOD. Your so called "west favorable C&R's" allow east pilots to bid west upgrades at a 1:1 ratio. They allow west pilots to bid east captain slots too, but only the top 10% of our list could hold a captain slot with a DOH seniority list. Don't even get me started on the furlough clause, it's a joke. Please point out the numerous advantages that the C&R's provide us?

USAPA provides the absolute bare minimum services to the west in order to look like they represent all pilots equally. How much influence has the west had with the NAC? BPR? Construction of the C&R's? The west reps can't even send out an update to the west pilots without first going through USAPA's Department of Censorship.

But alas, this is the Internet, where accountability shouldn't get in the way of making a bold statement, ain't that right becareful?

Last edited:
First of all congrats on not flying for US Air. May you be so fortunate that you never fly under such a self serving, opportunistic management scheme as the current US Air. Because you don't fly for US Air, you are painfully ignorant as to the division of labor at the current US Airways. Basically the merger is complete in name only. Until a single contract is ratified, Us Air operates under the provisions of the transition agreement which keeps the majority of flying separated into AWA (west) flying and US Air (east) flying. I do apologize for assuming that you are/were form the AWA side. Due to the passion and ignorance of your posts, I wrongly assumed you were a west pilot about to spew the never tiresome mantra "Our pilots saved your company therefore we should be placed above you in the seniority list".

As to your answer to my second question, I ask just 1 more. Why is it that you nor I could find any example or legal precedence of a union or association placing a new hire above a 16 year industry veteran on a seniority list prior to the Nic award?
You'd be surprised how well versed I am in your little squabble. The West pilots of course did not save your company. America West did. As far as your question is concerned, I'm hardly well versed enough in Union History to provide you with an answer you'd find adequate. Just because You or I can't name a similar circumstance off the tops of our heads hardly means that a travesty has occurred.

Read Nicolaus' biography and list of accomplishments, acknowledge the fact that there were two pilot neutrals that praised Nic. for his wisdom aside from one expressing the opinion that those already recalled (after the POI) should have been given some consideration. I don't know why, without the merger there would have been no POI to begin with and those returning furloughees would have joined their parked aircraft in the Mojave on a permanent vacation. It's Irrelevant as it's a matter of opinion. Let me rephrase your question back to you. When in History has two groups/companies of such disparate circumstances ever been slapped together?

Each merger turns upon it's own circumstances. Your ELECTED leadership failed you when they didn't have the stones to tell ALL OF YOU to forget straight DOH. That was pure fantasy. Anyway, we're obviously not going to agree. I think this thing is coming to a head in a Fed. court soon. The surest sign that this is moving fwd is the vehemence of USAPAs opposition to any outside scrutiny. Their meter is pegged, they're f'ed and know it but they've dug a hole unimaginably deep, and filled it back in with so many empty promises and lies that they'll never find a way out. They'll also never have a moment of clarity sufficient enough to stop the bleeding of ALL the US Air pilots. Decertification is a clear and present danger to Cleary et. al. BTW.

I understand projecting all of your career failures upon the West and Doug Parker...it's probably human nature. However, I remember when Wolf and Gangwal were considered the anti-christ. They put your airline into a nosedive, Parker pulled out of it for you. That's not even debatable. At least you could say, "thank you".

Last edited:
Project Zanzibar, eh? Tell us every excruciating detail of that plan, would you? Too early in the morning for red herring.

Zanzibar was alive and real, Parker mentioned it himself and I am looking for the reference since you demand one! Honestly, you have to take off your rose colored glasses and realize the POS your company was and always has been. AWA was bottom of the barrel for desirable places to work. And that is why your entitlement attitude to our upgrades and widebodies is so sick

Project Zanzibar, eh? Tell us every excruciating detail of that plan, would you? Too early in the morning for red herring.

They just can't accept the fact that America West was the acquiring airline. They would have you think that UsAir bought America West, hired Doug Parker as the CEO and moved the HQ to Tempe, AZ. :laugh:

Zanzibar was alive and real, Parker mentioned it himself and I am looking for the reference since you demand one!
This is worth discussing. "Zanzibar" was AWA's plan for a trip through bankruptcy if needed at some point in the future. Wow, an airline in the early 00's with a plan for potential bankruptcy. What a shocker. And also irrelevant. All that matters is that on the snapshot date soon after the merger closed AWA was a solvent company with aircraft deliveries in progress -- while US Airways was in bankruptcy with no exit plan filed and actively dumping aircraft. Can you say "career expectations"? Nicolau could.
And that is why your entitlement attitude to our upgrades and widebodies is so sick
All we're entitled to is the Nicolau list. No more; no less.

This is worth discussing. "Zanzibar" was AWA's plan for a trip through bankruptcy if needed at some point in the future. Wow, an airline in the early 00's with a plan for potential bankruptcy. What a shocker. And also irrelevant

Just imagine the military not having a contingency plan. Same goes for business planning. PZ was presented to Nicolau by the East MEC along with other arguments considered in arbitration. The arbitrated list is done and accepted by the company yet we keep hearing the same old arguments. Wasted breath debating the Nic Award after the fact.

Latest resources

Back