Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bringupthebird

Grumpy? Who-Me?
USAPA is in the process of preparing for a membership vote on whether or not to modify a provision in the west contract that allows pilots age 58 and older to receive captains pay, but remain at the top of the F/O scale and not be trained as captains. They propose to give into company demands that the age be moved to 63.

USAPA heartily endorses this vote as they see it as preventing co-pilots from upgrading.

USAPA fails to see the leverage in retaining the current contract language, and instead prefers to try and curry favor with management by giving away parts of the AWA contract. There are many who gleefully see this as their opportunity to personally screw the west with their vote. Before you do, think about this:

1. Why should USAPA give away what they didn't earn, in exchange for nothing?

2. Would allowing some F/O's who are in this age bracket to remain where they are enhance the upgrade opportunities for younger pilots?

3. Will those who plan to enjoy their own person victory at the expense of the west, ever need the unity with those same pilots to accomplish greater goals in the future?

4. And if those older F/O's desperately want to go from prime lineholders making captain's pay, to reserve captains with crummy lines, couldn't this bargain be struck so that something of value could come of it?

Suppose the west had won the representation election and proceeded to make wholesale concessions to only the east contract, just to prove who was really in charge. Would that yield the respect that was intended, or just make the current fight that much more bitter?

I encourage those USAPA members voting for this provision in the next few weeks to look beyond the chance to screw the west and sieze the chance to do what is right and vote NO on this question

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the issue is here. It still applies to those who theoretically have 2 years left. Why would the company want to pay captain pay for an fo for 7 years? Not intended to be flame, just wondering why they would do that.

Why would you want to give up anything with out receiving something in return? If the company wants it so bad they should propose it in the new contract which is way over due. No more concessions!

Why would you want to give up anything with out receiving something in return? If the company wants it so bad they should propose it in the new contract which is way over due. No more concessions!

Because USAPA is owned and operated by a group of inbred wanna be thugs...

USAPA is a pointless, do nothing, impotent group of angry FOs from the East coast.

Fake unionism at it's best.

Just when we thought unions couldn't possibly do any more harm, USAPA comes along and actually bests ALPA at deificating on the there own pilots. Well done USAPA, well done.

You're kidding, right? Surely USAPA members in the East wouldn't SCREW the AWA pilot group with a vote that has NOTHING TO DO WITH LOA 93 (and further ,get NOTHING for the exchange!!!)?????

Any bets??

:) The East will all retire in five years and then you guys can do with USAPA what you want. In the mean time, the west is along for the ride.

:) The East will all retire in five years and then you guys can do with USAPA what you want. In the mean time, the west is along for the ride.

Whatever. I'll tell you what. Judge Wake and any other legal officials involved will tell us both how things are going to be. That coupled with the next merge will really throw USAP's a curve. In the mean time the West pilots THAT HAD A JOB BEFORE AWA HOLDINGS ACQUIRED US AIR continue to be FURLOUGHED OUT OF SENIORITY ORDER ("Third Lister's" notified of furlough, but still working??......). USAP's have attempted a weak objection that proceeds to through the "channels". My union "speaks" for me.....

I encourage those USAPA members voting for this provision in the next few weeks to look beyond the chance to screw the west and sieze the chance to do what is right and vote NO on this question

Sir, step away from the crack pipe. USAPA exists solely to screw the West.

Just when we thought unions couldn't possibly do any more harm, USAPA comes along and actually bests ALPA at deificating on the there own pilots. Well done USAPA, well done.

Interesting choice of words considering the "alleged" events of last summer.

Latest resources

Back