• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAJET anything new

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I switched to ACMI and thought I would be gone 17 days in a row. Not so at all, here at Atlas. In fact, my shortest trip was 1 day. Other trips are 2 days, 3 days, 4 days.

Most trips are 1 week-2 weeks,unless you are IAH or MIA based, then the average trip can be really short.

I was gone 3 weeks in a row at USA Jet a LOT of times. To be at home more at USAJet, you have to move very close to YIP, to meet the callout times. It was not my favourite place to move to.

I think USAJet is better thought of as a stepping stone. Lots of guys at USA Jet (and places like it) now at Atlas, DAL, Kalitta (747s), etc. and liking the step up. If you need the experience, like I did, USAJet can work well.

cliff
GRB
Fits in to what I told you when you came to work here YIP is what you make of it, for a native Michigander who has lived all over the US I kinda like it. No hurricanes, no floods, a couple tornadoes once in while, and ice and snow. However, in Michigan ice and snow is not really a big deal like it is down south, they are equipped to handle it. The season change is something you really enjoy, unlike living in FL. where you go Ho Hum another beautiful day, so what. In Michigan, people call in sick on beautiful days. Flying out of YIP will make you one of the best instrument pilots in the country, YIP ranks up with SEA for the number of IFR days. In YIP you will learn the real meaning of clean airplane, deicing is a way of life you get really good at understanding holdover time. At YIP you will develop flying skills that allow you move onto your career destination, even if you do not care for the area like some guys. It gives them the resume fluff to move to their next job. We all pay our dues in some way; YIP is only one way. So some other people must have found YIP is an all right place to spend some time. How many major airports are there in the country where you can live 10 minutes from the parking lot on an acre of land for less than 70K? Where else can you still get one dollar fifty drafts at places like the Wedge? As I said at the start YIP is what you make of it, some people say it is OK, others do not like it here and do not apply. Simple choices. BTW you did not mention our pilots have also gone to Fed EX, UPS, DAL, NJ, UAL, CAL, you name an airline and there will many escapees from KYIP. Well except me.

BTW you did not mention our pilots have also gone to Fed EX, UPS, DAL, NJ, UAL, CAL

Well, and Emirates of course. Sure, it's not easy to go from a DC-9 to a 777 (And some did not make it), but JUS is a great stepping stone if you play your cards right.

But since they've been proudly going out of business since 2006 it's time to move on in time, you don't want to be caught being the last to switch the lights off with PilotYip and whoever's the chief pilot at the time.

Well, and Emirates of course. Sure, it's not easy to go from a DC-9 to a 777 (And some did not make it), but JUS is a great stepping stone if you play your cards right.
Yea like the Kalatti Int'l interviewers said to one our of DC-9 Captain when he came to work at the 747 operation "Oh! you flew the light twins across field". He got the job, made CA, and now flies for DAL.

BTW you did not mention our pilots have also gone to Fed EX, UPS, DAL, NJ, UAL, CAL...

And don't forget jetBlue...

I really enjoyed my time at USA Jet. Mostly, I flew the types of trips I wanted... it's not all trips to Saltillo @ 3 a.m. (I did my share of those too.) I was able to fly famous rock stars, hockey teams, college basketball teams, and etc. I made very good money - compared to the regionals. Fantastic money for the cost of living in YIP. (I was always happy to sell my time off for more money as the wife and I are paying off debt incurred during my time @ the regionals.) Had I been able to convince my wife to move, we would have been able to buy a huge chunk of land and a nice big house. The lifestyle was exactly as described, I had a good relationship with both my Chief Pilot and my D.O. - they had my back when a group of FA's tried to get me kicked off some charter flying. (Because I had the gall to say to them that any current and qualified FA should be able to work the trips and that as a whole for them to try to keep "secret knowledge" was detremental to the company's overall success. They didn't want their 'good deal' to disappear... and yes, I am still a bit 'cheezed off' at those FA's about that.) I flew aircraft that I will still be telling stories about when I am retired... "That reminds me of a time I was flying an ole' DC-9...(or MD-80)", "Back in my day, we didn't have all those fancy computers... I flew a DC-9 - all you had was two VOR's and a Sextant."

They are a good company for the right person. Sure, there are a few yahoos working there... people who confuse the words Seniority with Superiority. But, every company has those people. Overall, it was like a small family. You knew everyone and everyone knew you. With both the good and the bad that comes from a small work group. They took care of me (when my wife had complications from her surgery) and I took care of them. (by flying last minute trips into days off)

I would still be there happily flying my trips and socking away money so that the wife and I can buy a house in a year and a half if jetBlue didn't call. And, when they did... USA Jet sent me off with a 'congratulations' and a handshake... along with the chance to return if anything ever happened. Which was good of them... they could have said, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out."

And... I know everyone here doesn't always agree with PilotYip. But, I found him to be a honest, stand up, and overall good person who didn't sugarcoat anything about the job or the lifestyle. He also is a very good teacher - he made ground school interesting and enjoyable. I also enjoy reading his posts, they present a different perspective, which is a good thing even if you don't always agree.

While I was on call in YIP I had the opportunity to workout every day, I lost a bunch of weight, and was in shape. (In JFK on reserve... I am not, and there isn't a gym nearby - which is insane because there are about 4000 airline people in my neighborhood - and I put 10-15 lbs on during ground school that I still need to lose.) I worked a good schedule - and the company did their best to group my days off because they knew I commuted across the country. The company was a good fit for me. You never know where you are going to end up - or what curve balls life is going to throw at you. If anyone out there is looking for something different... even if it is only going to be for a few years. I would recommend it. (with the warning that USA Jet is not a time-building airline - 500 hrs. a year is a lot of time there)

And don't forget jetBlue...

I really enjoyed my time at USA Jet. ................(with the warning that USA Jet is not a time-building airline - 500 hrs. a year is a lot of time there)
Heck no, I did not forget JB, lots of great guys have gone there. Including one of my best buds, Zantop L-188 F/E, Dave W. hired back in Jan 2001

Latest resources

Back