• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAirways West Bidding Procedures

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks everyone for the great responses and information. Hopefully there will be recalls soon to both sides and the E190 training will start in earnest.

On another note concerning West E190 training, I would suspect same delay as 757's to West side due to increased cost now of sending Westies through INDOC. That's almost 2 weeks of pay for something you don't have to do when the lists and certificates are combined. I don't think any of you West guys really won't to work on the East contract as a reserve,it sucks from what I am told,bucket system and all that.

If you West Dudes don't mind,would you please keep the info coming about any recall information to the your side.From what I can gather from the East side manning is running very thin and morale is pretty low due to little movement on contract talks.

Thanks,
Bubba Dog

I asked Parker directly at the PHX Crew news..... He and Bular both said that West will be trained right along with the East (presuming that it jives w/ the arbitration)

TWA Dude said:
That's not what Management has told us. We expect to have our guys in 190 classes right away. The 757 deal slid through because there wasn't time for the negotiation/arbitration process. This time there is.

Well the initial class will be filled today. The East bid closes today and will include 10 190 CA's and 15 190 FO's. These will be all east pilots. We will know exactly who they are today. What ever positions have to go to West pilots once the arbitrators ruling is known, will start at a later date. I would imagine that if (just using an arbitary number) 50% of the slots have to be West, they will make up their numbers in subsequent classes, kinda like J4J backfill.

I just hope that when a West pilot accepts the 190, that the position he vacates on the west is filled by a furloughee instead of just going away...

As far as bidding procedures, I wonder if the West will change the way they do their bids? With new aircraft coming every month, the East will most likely run a new bid every month or two to fill the classes. Will the West also start running bids with such frequency?

As far as which contract the pilots will work under, I would think they all have to be under the same one for the same aircraft. What a nighmare for scheduling if the 2 pilots in a single crew are subject to different rules. Do we know if this issue is being decided in the recent 190 arbitration? We expect a ruling any day now to determine the staffing, will it also include the contract issue?

ALGFLYR,
For a person who is not on the AWA/AAA list , you sure do have you take on things. Relax and leave the opionions to people who will fill those slots and when you get on board the list you can tell us what contract we can fly under. I work for AWA and I work under that contract,peroid!

Actually...
The Transition agreement is quite clear that the CBA used will be determined by which operating certificate it is put on...That being said the west union feels as though there is a fair shot to get the admin stuff i.e. Vacation for the west guys

MK82Man said:
Bubba – For September and through at least Nov, LAS Bus FO manning is down to just 5, count ‘em 5 Reserve pilots. We had been carrying 10-12.

That would probably be because some of us bailed to other jobs, but they've decided not to replace us. Sorry about that guys. :D :D :D

HAL

ALGFlyer,

Uhmm..the bid closes today, and most likely you WON"T know exactly who will be flying it. The Capt. positions, will prob. go filled, but who knows, You've never participated in a bid at Mainline USairways, so you really don't know who screwy it can get. In addition, the 190 f/o slots will not be known for some time as they will prob. have to start going down the furlough list. And If your hoping for one of those spots, I know close to 60 guys that are eager to jump on those slots that a quite senior to you.

Carl S. said:
ALGFLYR,
For a person who is not on the AWA/AAA list , you sure do have you take on things. Relax and leave the opionions to people who will fill those slots and when you get on board the list you can tell us what contract we can fly under. I work for AWA and I work under that contract,peroid!

Well for your information I am on the AAA seniority list and yes I do have a take on things. I am very up to date on what is happening, and I'm trying to help others that may not have access to certain information. So you relax...

If you decide to take a 190 position, it will be under the East certificate. The East contract governs all flying on the East certificate. So if you come over here, you will work under our contract. Of course the arbitrator may make a ruling that alter that fact. That is what is trying to be discovered in this thread...

Crzipilot said:
ALGFlyer,

Uhmm..the bid closes today, and most likely you WON"T know exactly who will be flying it. The Capt. positions, will prob. go filled, but who knows, You've never participated in a bid at Mainline USairways, so you really don't know who screwy it can get. In addition, the 190 f/o slots will not be known for some time as they will prob. have to start going down the furlough list. And If your hoping for one of those spots, I know close to 60 guys that are eager to jump on those slots that a quite senior to you.

I agree that we may not know who the FO's will be for the 190 yet. The bid closed yesterday and I talked to Charmaine and she said she is trying to call over 100 people. It may take a while for sure. I understand how the bid works and yes, it can get very complicated. Not sure there are 60 furloughed pilots eager to jump at the 190 FO position. If they do that, they will lock themselves out of bigger equipment for 12 months. Staffing is getting tighter on the east and this last bid eliminated almost 60 positions. If they don't eliminate more positions on the next bid (big if I know) you will most likely start seeing 50-60 recalls on subsequent bids. Why would someone lock themselves out of those bids?

Well if you look at history, AAA has reduced positions on every bid since 9/11. Or at least I'm pretty sure, down a few thousand. Since the merger they've shrunk it 500+ positions. It wouldn't be hard to fathom more shrinkage. And with parker now touching on the 737 lap joint problem, might see more as the 190's come on. Hence if you don't get on the list, you won't have a chance to get onto a 737 or AB. And then when the 12 month equipment locks come up (or 18, no confirmation on which it's going to be) those will be bidding onto the ab, leaving the 190 slots...

Latest resources

Back