• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAirways to add 230 more flights. GREAT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I only hope USAir management used the right figure when they calculated the increase cost of fuel for 230 flights operated with passengers cashing in their frequent flier miles.

ILStoMinimums said:
Sure hope they make it. Will this expansion bring back any furloughed pilots?
Nope. The increased utilization of aircraft is offset by the higher (from 85 to 95 hours) paycap per month. Plus most of the increase flights comes from a shift in traditional mainline aircraft to MidAtlantic. Current estimates (depending on who you speak with, union or company) indicate a furlough of between 300-500 additional pilots.

Meaning, when the 60 days is up, USAirways owes current and back rent to the lessors of these aircraft, who can then also reposses their aircraft (up to 45% of the current fleet if memory serves) and put them back on the lease market at much more favorable rates than USAirways is currently paying.

Don't be suprised when SWA leases these aircraft for a few years until they can purchase new 700's from boeing to replace them. They will use US Air ways aircraft to crush US Airways.

Sorry to all of the UAIR pilots who will be cought up in the middle. You guys did nothing to deserve the fate that your management has forced you into.

Some interesting thoughts from Gary Kelly are on the thread "SWA mulling growth" or something to that effect. I think it hints to the possible aquition of ATA's 800s and most likely UAIR 737's as well.

BLUE BAYOU said:
O.K. so a shift to MidAtlantic using what airplanes: thought the E-170 deliveries were cut off???
They are. This shift assumes a future financing deal can be struck with Embraer.

Won't those future furloughs (300-500) be able to go over to MDA on the E170 assuming they get new planes? (Yes, I know they will get a huge pay cut also....)

Bye Bye--General Lee

The new T/A states that no mainline pilot furloughed can displace into MDA unless there is a vacancy.

JP

Whaaat?

KingAirer said:
These LCCs better watch it. The majors are getting pathetic pay rates, but they are going to get so low, theyll be able to compete. The LCCs are only going to get more expensive as time goes by. The majors may actually be able to turn a profit on some of these fares, plus provide service to about 3 times as many cities. Watch who you make fun of, you could be next.
So it HAS been the pilot salaries keeping the majors from showing a profit all along. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Get your resume out KingAirer. I think there are some openings coming up in management at several of the big carriers :)

Good luck to all. This industry is FUBAR!

Latest resources

Back