• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAirways off the runway at PHL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe there was no over-rotation at all. Maybe the tail scrape could have happened after as they settled back on the runway... Maybe the blowout happened at the same time as V1, tire pieces flamed out one or both engines, with plenty of runway remaining, they decided to abort and stop on the ground remaining, scraping the tail as they settled back on the runway. I doubt an over-rotation of any magnitude could blow out a nose-wheel tire...

Who can really say until we get the official data.

Maybe if the Concorde crew had aborted at high speed and ran off the end of the runway and only seriously injuring passengers instead of taking it it the air, they could have been hero's... Speculation sucks...

Speculation sucks but it's always good to hear other people theories (that make sense) that have knowledge of the plane. The chain of events that can occur can be crazy! Like you said, look at the Concorde.... They did everything the right way. However when they selected the gear up they power a wire that was cut from the FOD and sparked a uncontrollable fire that burned through the flight controls. Putting them into a no-win situation......Sad when a crew does it right and is put into a situation like that.

But unlike the Concorde everyone here walked away. It will be interesting for sure to see why they aborted when they did.

As for speculation??? I like reading everyone's angles. I remember a few pilots and most of the media saying it was icing when the Colgan Crash happened. I knew it probably wasn't having flown the Dash 8 and knowing how much ice it can hold. However nobody would've thought that a pilot would pull back against a stick pusher sending a perfect airplane and its 50 something pax into a self induced stall killing everyone???????

Some people can perform in a Simulator but then you people that same person in a real life event you might see a totally different behavior. Many people handle stress and react to it different. We've all flown probably flown once or twice with those guys/gals and thought, "I hope we don't loss a engine."

Yep!! Like TWA 840 or 843 (sorry can't remember) after rotation the capt push over to touch down and aborted the TO!! They all survive... If he had fallow the book, they all be dead!!
Here it is:
http://www.twaflight843.com

Last edited:
That pic. of a tail strike is swinging my view that the Easties did it again...what is the hull loss up to 5 or 6 from pilot screw ups?

P.S.- ALGFLR, East pilots think everything is someone else's fault, never manning up for their mistakes, so sometimes we need to hammer the point to get past your myopic view of the world...West pilots know we screwed up when we got chained to your sinking ship in 2005, but we did not have a vote in it!

Last edited:
That pic. of a tail strike is swinging my view that the Easties did it again...what is the hull loss up to 5 or 6 from pilot screw ups?

P.S.- ALGFLR, East pilots think everything is someone else's fault, never manning up for their mistakes, so sometimes we need to hammer the point to get past your myopic view of the world...West pilots know we screwed up when we got chained to your sinking ship in 2005, but we did not have a vote in it!

Yep! Project Zanzibar ! Look it up idiot. Awa was doomed
You're lucky to be at Airways. Amerucan wanted the lucritive east operation. Phoenix... Not so much
Enjoy your pathetic life in PHX for the next TEN years.

Flight performance and airline management are two different things. You have direct control over fate, or how do you explain your ignorant statement?

Last edited:
Yes Carl S is positive that no matter what the circumstances were, if a west pilot had been at the controls, nothing bad would have happened. West pilots are immune to anything bad ever happening and none will ever be involved in an accident or incident...

The best thing about this is that everyone survived. That's the bottom line. But with everyone alive and all evidence intact, it should be fairly easy to figure out exactly what happened and why. If it was pilot error, that will definitely come out. I hope that's not the case, but if it is then we have no choice but to own it.

The problem is there are west guys on here hoping and praying it was pilot error. That's just F'ed up...

While F'ed up as it is if the shoe was on the other foot many Easties would feel the same.

Some possibly could. I would hope not though. But I'm very sure that if it were a west pilot and pilot error was determined to be the cause, a LOT of east pilots would be digging up some old west post where they claim they haven't ever had any accident in a way they think it could never happen to them...

Yep! Project Zanzibar ! Look it up idiot. Awa was doomed
You're lucky to be at Airways. Amerucan wanted the lucritive east operation. Phoenix... Not so much
Enjoy your pathetic life in PHX for the next TEN years.

Actually, American didn't want any of this--the east or the west. They wanted to emerge from BK as stand-alone American. It was Doug Parker who engineered the shoe thing, over Horton's wishes. You remember him, right? The AWA guy who bought USAir out of BK. And in this case, once the American creditors got on board, Horton was in a corner and forced to merge. That's why Parker's in charge, and Horton got paid to go away.

But let's not let actual history get in the way of a good rant. :)

Bubba

Carl S - so nice to be a genius - all we have are a few pictures showing a collapsed n/g and a tail strike
Don't you think you should wait to hear cvr / fdr / ecam messages / crew interview before you have an answer?

Either your still on the 757 - or you have very little time in an airbus - sometimes you can get multiple spurious ecam messages , I had an ADR on Mel once and on touchdown we had multiple flight control computer / rudder messages - luckily it was on landing and not on takeoff

Metrojet

Latest resources

Back