• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Golden Falcon

USAPA: US Airways to ‘discipline’ captains over fuel costs

Lisa Treon
7/15/2008​
US Airline Pilots Association (USAPA) President Stephen Bradford, on behalf of the union, has released a memorandum to the US Airways pilots which advised them of management’s decision to initiate what the pilots consider discipline in the form of unapproved “training.”
USAPA said this “training” is to be given to the airline’s most senior captains who, according to the pilot union, have been singled out for exercising their judgment on determining fuel loads for their flights. The “training” includes simulator instruction which, if not successfully completed, could subject the pilot to a loss of his or her license. The union said in its view, the threat is clear: adding fuel could expose a pilot to career-ending license action.
USAPA spokesman Capt. James Ray said in most cases the senior captains were selected for adding what equates to approximately 10 to 15 minutes of additional arrival fuel on transoceanic flights. Under the applicable standards of the Federal Aviation Administration, the adequacy of fuel loads is considered a critical safety determination that is left to the captain’s discretion.
The memorandum to the pilots was sent after the board of pilot representatives for the US Airline Pilots Association conducted a meeting on the matter. The memorandum stated, “Captain’s authority and the right to make decisions based on good, sound judgment should never be subjected to the winds of economics.”
“Making decisions on whether or not to hand out peanuts is one thing; mandating fuel loads that our captains are uncomfortable with is another,” Bradford said. “US Airways pilots are committed to exercising their ‘Captain’s Authority,’ as granted by the Federal Aviation Administration and will always ensure a fuel load that will safely fly our passengers to their destination, with all the reserves necessary to handle any contingencies related to the flight.”

Wouldn't the Flights Dispatcher be involved in this? Not saying its wrong, but everytime I want to change my fuel load I have to explain and get approval from my Dispatcher.

Fuel load is listed on the release. I dont think you can just change it at will without getting it authorized.

Captain Authority. Thing of the past :-(

Last edited:
Wouldn't the Flights Dispatcher be involved in this? Not saying its wrong, but everytime I want to change my fuel load I have to explain and get approval from my Dispatcher.

Fuel load is listed on the release. I dont think you can just change it at will without getting it authorized.

Captain Authority. Thing of the past :-(

I may be splitting hairs here, and I'm not sitting in front of the FARs, but the CA and the dispatcher have to agree together to the terms of the release. You should explain why you want more gas, but you don't actually have to have that "authorized." Just tell the DX what you want and that you're not going until they see things your way. End of discussion.

Funny thing about those power/thrust levers -- they don't get pushed up for takeoff until the CA says so.

Bradford says under no circumstance are these guys intentionally wasting fuel. Ok. In other *(unrelated?) news, Bradford says we are in "full negotiation mode". Read: Burn lots of fuel and show the company what could happen if they don't play ball.

Coincidence? You be the judge.

This is misleading (sigh). They're being "singled out" for running the apu across the atlantic, taxiing on all engines, etc.

This is not about planning, its about blatantly wasting gas so they can show the company who's boss.

USAPA is spinning this, just as ALPA would've, to be about Captain's authority. In reality they are operating the plane in direct violation of company policy. The worst part is that they are only helping put fellow pilots, east and west, on the street by wasting thousands of dollars in fuel.

USAPA will defend them, and they should, but they should also tell them to knock it off as well.

Showing the company who's boss when oil is $140/brl? What friggin morons. The time for a serious payraise has already passed. Way to go Easties. What are you trying for, the darwin award?

This is misleading (sigh). They're being "singled out" for running the apu across the atlantic, taxiing on all engines, etc.

This is not about planning, its about blatantly wasting gas so they can show the company who's boss.

USAPA is spinning this, just as ALPA would've, to be about Captain's authority. In reality they are operating the plane in direct violation of company policy. The worst part is that they are only helping put fellow pilots, east and west, on the street by wasting thousands of dollars in fuel.

USAPA will defend them, and they should, but they should also tell them to knock it off as well.

Tell them to knock it off?? It's a union they like other pilot groups are "acting up." Even if the "time for raises has past" there are QOL issues that need addressed. Pilots have been burning fuel to get the attention of management for years, it;s a bigger stick now.

Also Captain always gets the last word on fuel. In the end he has to be satisfied or brakes stay set.

Bradford is the Same D-Bag that is telling everybody, "remember, we're in negotiations...be good UNION pilots"

He told them to waste gas, they did, and now they got busted. He's an incompetent fool and so is anyone who follows his advice.

Latest resources

Back