UsAirways and EMB-190

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mesa 4 life...yea right!

Synchoff...you have got to be kidding me! You'd be happy staying Mesa for the rest of your god forsaken life...PLEEEAASSEEE! That's great you like where you're at, but the rest of us aren't willing to settle for those terms. The 90 seat aircraft belong at the Mainline level, plain and simple. The only way this can happen, however, is if the Big Boyz at ALPA pull down the silver lining and actually step up and refuse 90 seaters to be flown by regionals.

synchoff said:
What is a "major"? It used to be defined as airlines who did more than a Billion bucks of business a year . . . ..

A major airline is defined as an airline in bankruptcy with pilots furloughed due to greedy mismanagement by corporate executives who plan on being in the industry just long enough to bleed the company for their needs.

synchoff said:
What is a "major"? It used to be defined as airlines who did more than a Billion bucks of business a year . . . .and by that measure, many "regionals" qualify. The regionals are certainly better at turning a regular profit.

Its not that hard to "turn a profit" when you operate at cost plus. The regional partner profit is directly sucking the life out of the major that has them proped up. that is not the pilots fault other than alpa allowing it to happen, it is the fault of short sighted greedy "lets make the stock price look good today at any cost" attitude of management that only cares about their next retention bonus and in reality could give a rats A$$ about the airline or anyone that works there.

At least your honest!!!

synchoff said:
What is a "major"? It used to be defined as airlines who did more than a Billion bucks of business a year . . . .and by that measure, many "regionals" qualify. The regionals are certainly better at turning a regular profit. The line is blurring, so the "real majors" can just kiss by shinny white "cheek" when they presume to tell me how much I can make and what I can fly because they somehow think they're better pilots or some such nonsense.

Mesa's not so bad -- and I'd be content to work here the rest of my flying career. But money's not everything. JetBlue sounds better, because they're not fully of whinners complaining about every little perceived slight from management. And they're non-ALPA. And I'd like to fly an Airbus, which will never happen at Mesa because lovely ALPA will never allow it (for my own good, of course - - how condesending is that -- it's for THEIR own good, and they don't have the balls to come out and say it) Plus, I'd like to wear a blue shirt instead of a white one.

But United, Delta, Northwest . . . no thanks.

Synchoff,
I won't fault you for being honest, in fact if more people just did what they said, this world would be different, most say one thing and do another.
Anyway, your logic does not compute because as long as their is the seniority system in this profession, you will always be able to whipsawed against an newer cheaper entity.
OBTW, I know you idolize JB right now, but every pilot group is content and happy when upgrades come fast and growth is forecast, in my experience, the real pessimists don't start to show until the airline is shrinking.
Do you not see that although you love it at Mesa and that even in your 10th year of your 30 year career as a captain of a small shiny jet, you could be undercut in a moments notice by the newest next generation of competition. Last I checked UND and Embry Riddle, Comair Acadamey havn't shut down, it will only be a matter of time before enough new entrants into the labor pool before a new regional sweeps the industry with NEW equipment, NEW pilots and even lower bids for regional flying.
The way I see it, regional pilots are even in a more precarious postition than the majors (which I define as the brand name on the side of the plane, not revenue) as they have no scope or protection of future flying so they are and always will be under the threat of "lower your costs now so we can bid for this or that".
OBTW again, you can fly an airbus, look at Indy, they said "we want to be a major flying airbuses, we don't need our major airline ties anymore" , they fly airbuses, and RJ's so don't be so down about your future prospects, just convince MESA to go it alone!
Lastly, I think it is commendable that you seek to fly for Jetblue, you want to be a part of a major that has a respectable career path ahead of you, don't be ashamed!
Ciao

I don't want to join in the quarrel of major v regional but I do have a couple of questions.

How many E-190's does U/AWA have on order?

How many E-190's does this TA say that U/AWA will order in the future?

What if they don't order any?

This TA permits an increase up to 93 of the CRJ-900 type airplane and as far as I can tell offeres no guarantee that U/AWA will buy even one E-190.

Sounds like sort of a Pyrrhic victory.

synchoff said:
Regionals are NOT full of "2 year I wanna upgrade in a shinny jet" pilots anymore. They are career airlines, and I'll be danged if I'm going to apologize for fighting for salaries and QOL that come with larger aircrafts.
Hey buddy let me know when any regional outside of ASA and Comair has gotten any REAL improvement in salary and QOL as a result of larger aircraft. They have gone a long way towards that "2 year shinny jet upgrade." Guess three bucks/hour for a captain goes along towards satisfying you...

surplus1 said:
I don't want to join in the quarrel of major v regional but I do have a couple of questions.

How many E-190's does U/AWA have on order?

How many E-190's does this TA say that U/AWA will order in the future?

What if they don't order any?

whether or not U/AWA orders any 190s is really irrelevant. The point is the line of scope at U/AWA was held at 90 seats. That alone is a victory for the U/AWA pilots in my book.

as much as I would like to fly a 90 seater, or a jet for that matter, it would do nothing but screw every pilot if the regionals started flying the 190's. I'm glad to see some people are stepping up and and taking a stand cause in the long run thats what needs to happen!!

It's where they will go!!!

michael707767 said:
whether or not U/AWA orders any 190s is really irrelevant. The point is the line of scope at U/AWA was held at 90 seats. That alone is a victory for the U/AWA pilots in my book.

Exactly, it's knowing that if they are used in U/AWA operations, they will be used at mainline. That is the interesting and hopefully watershed moment that will stop the mainline bleeding to lower cost contract carriers. First JB, now U/AWA, etc and if any other company wants to fly it, the mainline units can now say don't look at mid atlantic or CHQ or SKW, look at the competition, they do it at mainline. It's the first step towards the "one list" you regional guys look forward to, now get out there and get hired into the future growth at a mainline, afterall, it's the same $$$$ you would make at your career regional.

Latest resources

Back