Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

I.P. Freley

I like people food
I'm sure anyone interested in UAir's continuing problems has already heard today's announcement about possibly going Chap. 11 if they can't get more money out of the workgroups... But what they're asking for is borderline crazy:

>>>The company asked this week for a 16.5 percent reduction in pay, 95 hours a month of flying, medical cuts for retirees and changes in sick time rules that, combined, are expected to generate annual savings of $295 million.
The pilots, in earlier proposals, offered pay cuts of 12.5 percent and to fly 93 hours a month, up from a maximum of 85 currently.<<<

WTFO?? 95hrs/mo??

Work more to make the same pay! Sweet!

Anyone at USAir think that "this time it's for real" or is it just more sabre-rattling?

I think the new CEO actually threatened Chapter 7 (liquidation) didn't he? Regardless, things only appear to be getting worse for USAirways with the slower fall season approaching, stratospheric fuel prices with no end in sight, SWA (PHL and BWI markets) and Independence Air (important DC market) competitive pressure increasing, I can't see things getting any better despite massive pay cuts and productivity improvements.

Beyond the Dave Siegel turnaround method of pay cuts and productivity improvements, how can USAirways actually improve the situation given all of the other factors? Can things actually improve much?

Yes, you're correct, he did threaten Chap. 7... My mistake.

I just can't believe they expect the pilots to take a THIRD paycut. I know things are dire, but how much can they possibly give back? How 'bout more hours but keep the pay??

As someone who's spent several years flying Express for USAir, I know how inefficent their schedules can be... I thought it was just the lowly turboprop boys that had to sit around for hours between flights, but I talked to a mainline pilot who says they have to put up with the same thing on a regular basis... More hours on duty for the same amount of block time. Seems to me that would be a good place to start, just fix the danged schedules and increase the number of hours the planes are in the air on any given day. Doesn't SWA keep their planes aloft for something like 11hrs/day on average?

EDIT- Should've posted the link to the story that I got the quote from...
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04232/363794.stm

Last edited:
Here's another interesting item....

those pilots that go to MidAtlantic and leave, will not get USAirways call back rights. If there is something to go back to.

Cuts in pay and benefits are needed, why is that clause included.
As mgt once said,"Training costs are a fixed cost."

Mgt knows if USAirways will declare Ch.11 or 7 or whatever already.

when will it end?

At some point you've got to say you know what, shut it down if that's what it takes. Are pilot's suckers? Look at how many times and to what extent the USAir pilots have given already while other labor groups have flipped off management and given way less or not at all. I would say no on any more cuts until the other labor groups are bled dry. Its time to call the bluffs of not only management but the tug driving mechanics, 40,000/yr gate and ramp agents and FA's til they come down to "market level".

Why do pilots continue to subsidize the propped up incomes of other labor groups who (with the exception of the mechanics) come from the street with zero experience required and a 4 week crash course? No wonder mgt treats us as mere hourly workers.

Every time I suggest that a ramper shouldn't be getting paid as much as a matching pair of FO's, no matter how much experience they have on the ramp, I get yelled down... So now it's YOUR turn, P38. :)

stb said:
those pilots that go to MidAtlantic and leave, will not get USAirways call back rights.

I expect those who got to MDA and leave have moved on to greener pastures, and will not want to come back. Non issue.

See your point but..

it is nice to have an extra card in your hand in the aviation career.

Just found it interesting mgt put that clause in the negotiations for a do or die situation in Sept.

I'm not so sure that the pilots pay will be the straw that broke the camel's back at USAir. Look at how much the pilots have to lose if USAir goes Chapter 7. According to:

http://www.airlinepilotpay.com

no pilot at the company makes less than $104/hour. While that is a huge paycut from what they used to make, it still beats an income of $0/hour. And where else could an out of work USAir pilot go? Anywhere he/she goes will be at first year pay.

Where it will get really sticky is with the other unions whose workers are not paid as much. Not to belittle F/A's, but with the money they now make, many of them could find similar paying jobs outside of the airline industry. So, I guess I'm saying, they don't have as much to lose if USAir goes Chapter 7.

It truly is a sad time in the airline industry. USAir warns of liquidation, Delta warns of bankruptcy, United in Ch. 11 and today saying they might cancel all pension plans, ATA in trouble.

God help us all.

GP

Latest resources

Back