• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAir Furlough Recall: My Decision

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Swaaze -- please don't tell me the old US Air really took your wings away when they furloughed you? Callous indeed. What purpose did that serve? Were you a US Air pilot or not? Who gives a rat's arse if you are going out on furlough? What did they hope to gain by taking your wings? Save $5 on metal to give to someone else? That place was/is a hole and that kind of East attitude reflects why we are having so much trouble in the merger. I'm sorry they took your wings and I'm sorry you guys got the final letter. I'm sure they sent the letter for legal reasons but I hope they wished your luck in future endeavors and thanked your for your service to our airline for the years you worked for us.

Hey Norm,

When I was furloughed from AWA they took my wings, headset, epaulets, and hat pin.

Thats why merging using career expectations is screwed up. In this industry no one can accurately predict where they will be in 3 years, let alone 20 years.

Date of hire is the only way to go!

Career expectations works just fine when you use it from the merger date, not 7 years prior. "Gee when I was 7 years old I thought I'd be rich/famous and that's my career expectation, if you don't give it to me I'm going to throw a fit." Sorry doesn't work that way.

It's not really a far-reaching prediction but a simple look on a specific day as to what fleet plans are. Nicolau didn't try to guess the state of the industry, just what kind of progress each side's pilots could expect. He actually rejected both side's ideas about what the future held.Even though it may create a huge windfall for one group? Step outside the situation for a second and think about what sounds more fair: a process whereby both sides negotiate as equals and barring an agreement a neutral tries to be fair to both sides --or-- a one-size-fits-all integration method that fails to account for the vagaries of each individual merger?

The only people chanting "DOH" are the ones who stand to benefit the most from it. Shocking.
I think relative seniority is the way to go...not expectations or date of hire

I think relative seniority is the way to go...not expectations or date of hire
I would agree 100% except it still doesn't account for the vagaries of each merger. There's no one-size-fits-all integration method that's fair.

When I had to turn in my stuff to Charlotte, I sat down with Bill Bewely for about a half hour and talked. I turned my books in and parking pass and asked him about the hat pin and wings and he said no, you keep them, you have been screwed enough. I asked if he and Skip could write a letter of rec. and they both did without hesitation. They were a good bunch of guys. I talked to Bill when I had to make my final decision a few weeks ago and he said make your decision and dont look back. It is not the same airline. I did and am happy. I did think it sucked to get the letter the other day saying you no longer belong here. Called the non rev line it says log in is suspended. I toast the guys and gals I knew and wish you the best of luck. Here, here. Clink, Clink.

Sounds like CLT was the place to be. At the time I thought it was filled with backwards southerners...

Then I moved to Arkansas. ;) Now I think people from CLT are Rhodes Scholars.

(Just joking Barry!) :)

Well if you think studying dead carcasess on the side of the road is impressive, you should move to Texas. hahahhaha

When I had to turn in my stuff to Charlotte, I sat down with Bill Bewely for about a half hour and talked. I turned my books in and parking pass and asked him about the hat pin and wings and he said no, you keep them, you have been screwed enough. I asked if he and Skip could write a letter of rec. and they both did without hesitation. They were a good bunch of guys. I talked to Bill when I had to make my final decision a few weeks ago and he said make your decision and dont look back. It is not the same airline. I did and am happy. I did think it sucked to get the letter the other day saying you no longer belong here. Called the non rev line it says log in is suspended. I toast the guys and gals I knew and wish you the best of luck. Here, here. Clink, Clink.

Totally opposite experience from what I got in BWI. Oh well, it's over.

Yup. Would be easier to move on if I didn't see all of these threads about people applying, interviewing, etc.

Dude, people love a good train wreck. Thing is, applicants are probably moving on from a car crash.

Train wrecks are even more popular for rubber neckers.

Latest resources

Back