• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BenderGonzales

US Airways MEC
Furlough Administrator Update – April 2007

Recall letters - The company is in the process of sending out letters for a recall to the 190 FO positions. They will recall at least 26 pilots for the 190 from now through December. They will additionally recall 164 pilots to Group 2 or better aircraft later in the year. The letters going out now are ONLY for the 190 positions. The Group 2 slots will be filled after the 190 positions.

The reason the 190 will be filled in a separate process is the company is concerned that they won’t be able to fill the positions from the APL without undue delay. They would like to know how many will accept and if they need to find pilots from other places to fill the positions they will then have enough lead time to do it. I think they will be able to fill the 26 from the APL but I might be wrong.

Pilots still have the ability to bypass the 190 FO position as long as they like. If you accept a 190 position and you have not begun Indoc class, you can subsequently get a better aircraft if your seniority allows. However once you begin training you are locked into the 190 for 12 months from when you begin Indoc.

If you pass on the 190, the additional 164 positions will be filled in seniority starting from the top of the list again so you will have another opportunity for recall. If you decide to pass on the 190 and you don't get one of the 164 positions and there are junior people to you who have accepted a position on the 190, you cannot later change your mind and bump them out of a position. However if a vacancy were to occur you would be able to express a preference for that position.

Some questions that have arisen are:
ØWill there be 26 recalls per month or 26 for the year for the 190?
oThere will be at least 26 for the year on the 190. There will be 11 190s on property by the end of the year and that equates to about 55 FOs. There have already been some FOs trained so the 26 will be for the remainder of the year.

ØHow do I respond if I am not interested in the 190 but do want to be considered for a Group 2 or higher aircraft?
oThis letter is only for the 190 – if you are not interested then contact the company and pass for this recall. The company will send out another letter before they start recalls for the other 164 positions.

ØWhat if I fail to respond within 7 days after picking up the certified letter?
oYou will be considered as a bypass for this recall.

ØWhen will classes begin for the 190?
oClasses will be scheduled throughout the rest of the year with the earliest being in May.

ØIf I accept a 190 position will I still be eligible for a Group 2 or better aircraft?
oYes – as long as you have not begun Indoc training. Let’s say you have an Indoc class that starts on 1 Aug for the 190. You are contacted on 10 July for a Group 2 recall position so then you can accept that Group 2 position – your Indoc class may or may not be the same.

ØI bypass the 190 in hopes of getting a Group 2 aircraft from the 164. All those positions were awarded senior to me so I am still furloughed, can I change my mind and try again for the 190?
oYes – however you can’t bump someone out of a position they have been awarded. If a 190 position comes open for whatever reason, that position will be filled in seniority order by those who have expressed an interest for the 190.

ØI am at the bottom of the seniority list – can I pass on the 190?
oYes – you can pass on the 190 FO as long as you like.

ØWhen does the 12 month training freeze begin?
oOn the date of your Indoc class.

ØAfter the 12 months can I bid for a Group 1 or 2 aircraft while there are senior pilots still on furlough?
oYes – you will be an active pilot and you can participate in the bid. After the bid is run, any available vacancies will go to furloughed pilots.

ØI am a J4J pilot and get a 190 position. Since they seem to be in a hurry to fill these positions is there a chance I will be held at my J4J carrier IAW LOA 91 or will they release me to fill the 190 positions?
oYou are still subject to being held.

ØI’m not sure right now whether I want to come back or not. Can I accept a recall and then change my mind later?
oOnce you tell the company you want to come back they will put your name on a list. When they start to fill classes they will call pilots in seniority order – if they call you for a class and you have changed your mind you can just say that you are no longer interested. However if you do this you will be passing for all 26 positions, not just that particular class date.

Recall Summary – Here is a summary of the recalls so far. There is also a summary on the pilots’ only homepage that is updated as classes are filled. There are 21 pilots left to be recalled from the group of 160 recalls that were started in Feb.

Latest resources

Back