• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flashpoint

USAir Fires Pilot For Not Removing Hat
The Associated Press
Published: Jan 30, 2002

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - The Air Line Pilots Association is appealing the dismissal of a US Airways pilot who says he was fired for refusing to take off his hat at an airport security checkpoint. Capt. Ed Graf was arrested in October and charged with disorderly conduct following the incident at the checkpoint at Philadelphia International Airport. Authorities said he was combative and refused to follow an officer's order.

Graf, 51, said he was fired two weeks later, and his appeal to the airline for reinstatement was rejected Jan. 18, according to the union.

Airline spokesman David Castelveter declined to discuss the case or those of two other US Airways pilots who were disciplined for arguing with or making insensitive comments to security screeners at the airport. One of the other pilots made a comment about a gun, forcing the evacuation of a terminal; the other suggested that as a pilot, he could bring down a plane without a weapon, authorities have said.

The union blamed irregular security practices and overreaction by police and screeners at the airport, one of the airline's hubs.

"This is not about the person causing any kind of safety problem," union representative Roy Freundlich said.

AP-ES-01-30-02 1330EST

Last edited:
It is about the person causing a safety problem. I gaurantee the hat set off the metal detector and the hand wond so the security personell asked him to remove his hat. There is nothing new in that...hell I always took my hat off to go through security. Even at football and basketball games they ask you to remove your hat when entering and they did that before 9/11. This guy deserved the disorderly conduct charge and the dismisal. I think ALPA is on the wrong side of this issue. But also if US Air is going to let this guy go they should have let the other two go with him.

flashpoint said:
USAir Fires Pilot For Not Removing Hat
The Associated Press
Published: Jan 30, 2002

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - The Air Line Pilots Association is appealing the dismissal of a US Airways pilot who says he was fired for refusing to take off his hat at an airport security checkpoint. Capt. Ed Graf was arrested in October and charged with disorderly conduct following the incident at the checkpoint at Philadelphia International Airport. Authorities said he was combative and refused to follow an officer's order.

Graf, 51, said he was fired two weeks later, and his appeal to the airline for reinstatement was rejected Jan. 18, according to the union.

Airline spokesman David Castelveter declined to discuss the case or those of two other US Airways pilots who were disciplined for arguing with or making insensitive comments to security screeners at the airport. One of the other pilots made a comment about a gun, forcing the evacuation of a terminal; the other suggested that as a pilot, he could bring down a plane without a weapon, authorities have said.

The union blamed irregular security practices and overreaction by police and screeners at the airport, one of the airline's hubs.

"This is not about the person causing any kind of safety problem," union representative Roy Freundlich said.

AP-ES-01-30-02 1330EST

I don't think that this is about the hat, I think that the pilot is mad about all these off the wall security procedures. They trust him with the lives of the hundred of more people that are on his aircraft (not sure what he flys), but they want to strip him down and treat him like hes a danger to the people.

I think one of the guy is making it clear by saying that he could bring an airplane down without a weapon. And he is quite right about that, his bare hands can do more damage than any gun could do.

I think that any pilot that is on duty (there are ways to check this), should not have to go though all this in depth security, whats the point, are they trying to protect the passengers from their pilot.

Amen-

To me, the simple solution to this is new pilot certificates, with a picture and a magnetic strip on the back. If they can put a credit-card reader on a gas pump, I think that the cost is low enough to equip the security post with one.

If your card swipes through as pilot currently employed by an airline, you pass through, no hassle.

Lost, stolen or revoked ID's are invalidated immediately, and anyone possessing one of those subject to further verification.

Check us all, check us once, issue a card, and then leave us the hell alone.

Yeah but how do the security people know that this guy is actually a pilot? I mean some of the september 11th terrorist had pilot uniforms on. If pilots got special treatment going through security, then wouldn't it make it easier for another september 11th to happen?

Try Again!

...I mean some of the september 11th terrorist had pilot uniforms on.

NO, NO, NO.... This myth has perpetuated long enough. All of the terrorists who flew on 9-11 had regular tickets. They sat in the cabin before making their move. NONE of them wore uniforms.

However, I second the idea of a nationally accredited, verifiable Pilot/Crewmember ID. That would alleviate many of our concerns over the security issue and perhaps reduce the hassle encountered at the checkpoints.

The national jumpeat conference taking place early this month may help.

Hey KSU_Aviator a Quick comment

Kansas State University_Aviator,

Maybe you should get some real flying experience before you comment about such a matter. I think people who actually fly at an airline, and go through security gates are in a better position to comment, then you who sit and DREAM of flying for an airline. Go ahead concentrate on finishing college... and when you quit going through high school and college basketball game security checkpoints and start going through airport checkpoints then just maybe you will have a little insight on what we have to go through day in and day out, and why he did what he did.

Good Day

ScRaMJet

General, this stuff has been covered before. And it's just an urban myth that some of the hijackers had on pilot uniforms, or were sitting on the jumpseat. So there wouldn't be "another" September 11, since the first one didn't have that kind of security breach. In fact, it seems that none of the terrorists breached security at all since the weapons they used were all legal at the time.

Only current pilots could gain access through a competent screening system, not just a guy in a uniform. And the idea is to have some sort of biometric data implanted in the card and in the security database so simply stealing a card won't work. It would be simple enough to accomplish. In fact, I'm a little surprised it hasn't taken hold already. Maybe the public just likes to see Capt. Skygod taking his shoes off like the common folk.

Too bad they didn't ask him to remove his turban. Then, instead of losing his job, he could sue UsAirways! He could cry on Katie Couric's shoulder on TV about how violated he felt, he would be a media hero for helping to end discrimination. But alas, he did not wear a turban, only a major airline's captain hat. Poor bastard, they should throw the book at him! After all, airline captains are far more likely to blow up airplanes than Muslims, just look how many times they...uh..just look at...uh...well, the fact remains that we would much rather insult an airline captain than a Muslim. We wouldn't want to be insensitive, would we?

Just as an aside, I have carried my hat through security hundreds of times, and it has yet to set off the detector. This includes when I wore a UsAirways hat while at one of their commuters. If his hat set off the alarm, he should remove it. I highly doubt it did. I think it was another screener looking to hassel a pilot. Happens all the time. Although with the attitudes some of the pilots have getting screened, sometimes I can't blame the screeners for having a little fun!

The sad fact is, this country has gone crazy. The pc police, who used to be just amusing, have become dangerous. They have convinced the public, and the policy makers, that it is more desireable to have airplanes blow up than it is to offend some people. I have just finished reading the latest FAA directive on security screeners. It is a joke. The screener was entirely within his rights to ask the captain to remove his hat, even if he didn't beep. But if someone wearing a turban does not beep, the screeners are prohibited from searching his turban. As one reporter put it, and I am paraphrasing, "If I were a muslim fundamentalist looking to blow up a plane, I would dress like a muslim looking to blow up a plane! It is the only way to ensure that I wouldn't get searched!" Little old ladies? Search em! Airline pilots? Strip search! Muslims? Let em through, we wouldn't want to offend anyone, would we?

Remind me again what the people look like who have been hijacking and blowing up our airplanes for decades, and have vowed to do it again?

Pure silliness. And very dangerous.

Latest resources

Back