• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAir Crew on 60 Minutes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
im sure that there was a LOT more words from the crew but 60 minutes edited it out so to make Sully look more like the hero. blame the media.

i heard sully commend his crew numerous times and most likely sincerely feels they deserve some more atttention.

I have to agree - I'm sure they did plenty of interviews and they all got speaking parts, but had to edit to make sure the Sully the Hero theme carried the show. Plus, I think Katie Couric wanted Sully to pop a blue pill and bend her over.

Aft FA most def. wants some cash. Can't put on the uni - gag. Although, many stews just up and quit after 911 too.

Sully still did a great job though. I think most of us would also have done just as well.

Sully came across as very cool, very composed--emotions tucked deep beneath. Good on him.

It seems to me the aft F/A was a little dramatic (not surprising--so many of them are). And I have to wonder how much presence, control and authority she had over the pax. "A passenger opened the aft door"? Good command over the situation, sweetie. Why didn't the forward pax freak? 2 gals up front and only one senior, possibly frail mama in back? Yep, I believe she's upset, wants some $ and is also a little suspect in her storytelling. I guess we'll have to wait until the NTSB issues the final ruling--complete with each individual crew action.

I do think that any of us would have done as Sully did. No, we don't all have the exact same reflexes, but we're not private pilots, either. No doubt he nailed it, but luck played a major part.

Regardless luck or skill, everyone survived. Many helped. If it makes everyone feel better, that's a noble conclusion.

Last edited:
Sully came across as very cool, very composed--emotions tucked deep beneath. Good on him.

It seems to me the aft F/A was a little dramatic (not surprising--so many of them are). And I have to wonder how much presence, control and authority she had over the pax. "A passenger opened the aft door"? Good command over the situation, sweetie. Why didn't the forward pax freak? 2 gals up front and only one senior, possibly frail mama in back? Yep, I believe she's upset, wants some $ and is also a little suspect in her storytelling. I guess we'll have to wait until the NTSB issues the final ruling--complete with each individual crew action.

I do think that any of us would have done as Sully did. No, we don't all have the exact same reflexes, but we're not private pilots, either. No doubt he nailed it, but luck played a major part.

Regardless luck or skill, everyone survived. Many helped. If it makes everyone feel better, that's a noble conclusion.

Luck, and the rescue boats getting there so fast. Or else everyone would have died of hypothermia.

Donna Welsh is a mess, you can see it in her face. I'm sure the tail was chaotic...but I had to laugh because everytime she opened her yap the other crewmembers just stare almost in disdain. At one point there is a shot of her going on and on and they capture Sully's face.....PRICELESS.

They did their jobs and because of it 155 lives saw another day......incredible.

im sure that there was a LOT more words from the crew but 60 minutes edited it out so to make Sully look more like the hero. blame the media.

i heard sully commend his crew numerous times and most likely sincerely feels they deserve some more atttention.
He did commend his crew and all that good stuff, but i'mbatman is correct. Sully personally took credit for taking command of the airplane, doing all the flying after the F/O ran into the birds, talking on the radio, turning on the ignitors, firing off the APU, making the brace call, etc.

I understand the FP talks on the radio and flies the airplane while the NFP runs the checklist, but short of the memory items, the NFP typically does most of the work (APU, ETC) while the FP concentrates on flying and talking on the radio. At an altitude where the radar altimiter is still active, should the guy flying be fooling with the APU when there is a capable person sitting right next to him. It's issues like that that got CRM implemented. The CAPT overloading the F/O when something comes up or vice versa, some stick hog doing everything and the plane crashes only to find out the other guy was not allowed to touch anything. That's not the case here of course, but it allows for some great teaching later on down the road.

yeah the aft FA... couldnt throw on a uniform? too tattered? c'mon. she spoke kinda negatviely too. aw well. i think shes looking for a pay day... i really hate to say that. she just seemed real bitter... anyone flown with her before?

poor sully. ..must be getting very tired of all this atention. nice segment though. very heartfelt
Sounded to me like she is headed for a workers comp stress deal.....

Eh,

Maybe they will be able to make up for the lost retirements with endorsements or something.

CVR should be out shortly....

Sheila Dail is kinda hot. Skiles seems like a nice, modest, unassuming kind of guy. I got the impression that though he is kind of being overlooked, it's just fine by him. Who knows though.

Latest resources

Back