USair and UAL scope

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jehtplane said:
True, Jetblue went and set the new low bench mark, I did not realize how bad they were until just the other day, but why will the major's always be better? Pay yes, but what about QOL, schedule's , so forth. I do not think that the major's will always be better with those issues. Todays' "regional" airlines are not yesterday's "regional" airlines. We fly coast to coast, canada, mexico, bahama's, Turks Caicos Islands. The regional term needs to die. I do not see our payrates going down and I do not wish that yours come down. I just think that the "RJ" is not the problem with the airline indusrty as stated above. I just think that the term "jet" in "regional jet" tends to stir all of this crap up.

Sure, if you are a senior Captain for a "regional", then your QOL may be better than a junior FO at a "major". And, being senior will always afford you a better salary and more flexibility than the average "regional" pilot. But, USUALLY the benefits are better at a Major, and the chance to fly something different or somewhere different. Unless you are on the MD88 at DL, the number of legs you fly per day are less than the average at a "regional", and maybe that is easier on your body.(?) If that doesn't excite you, then maybe staying put wouldn't be that bad of a choice. And, the term "regional" is better than the term "commuter."

Bye Bye--General Lee

you could call regional airlines 'Mom and Pop' airlines, or "The best darn pilots in the business' airlines. Either way it would not matter.
Management has found a qualified worker pool to accomplish something at a cheaper rate than what they have. If Mgmt could have the 747's flown by "regional" airline pilots at 1/4 the pay, they would do it immediately.
So what are we seeing here? Mgmt is lowering the "mainline" pay to the same level as the "regional" pay. Once that happens, then we will all be one big happy family. Quite literally, because we all have to live in the same house to be able to afford food.
ALPA MUST pull itself together (both mainline and regional) and stand firm against Mgmt, but since ALPA is in Mgmt's pocket (or at least the government's pocket) right now, what is likely to happen is the pay, pension, and work rules will go right down the tubes to its lowest common denominator, which as yet to be set. And all you freight guys, do you think you are safe with you pensions? For now, you are, but not for long. Business is business, and airlines are in the exact same business as Taco Bell. Profit high, costs low. Every new pretty-boy coming out of college with a business degree thinks he knows how to shave off a few more cents here and there to justify his job.
It would be nice if ALPA would establish a pay rate for the heaviest aircraft out there (right now the A380) for Captains, and First Officers on a sliding longevity scale. Then base every other airplane on this scale as a percentage. That way every pilot is paid the same regardless of what color his uniform is. Level the playing field, and fix the costs associated with pilots, just like fuel.

I agree with the General. What I've notice coming from the regionals (and I was at a pretty good one) to the majors is QOL for me at least has been better from the get-go. One of the biggest improvements I've noticed is not having too much "airport appreciation time", having trip and duty rigs definately is a plus. At the regional I was at we had so many 4:30am van rides just to fly back to the hub and sit for 3-4 hours before our next turn, I could've used that for more sleep!!!
Well I really don't see that any more (thank God) far more productivity built in pairings at the majors.

jehtplane said:
Well if you are flying 90 seater's at 60 dollars an hour than yes I would probably go somewhere else to. But I do have some news for you , the major's are not all that anymore. Pensions are going away slowly, which was a main draw, pay is 20-50 percent lower than is was a couple of years ago. Again personal preference. If I am making 6 digits flying a 70 seat passenger jet, fine by me.

I bet it's fine by you. Perhaps it's not fine by many mainline (especially furloughed) that you're contracted out to fly 70 seaters on routes once flown by mainline dc9s and f100s. 100K plus a year for a 70 seater??? Are you dreaming or on crack? First, Fee for Departure can't afford it and second, you'll be undercut by *************************, Mesa, TSA, or XYZ. Just like Indy, you may have to sink or swim on your own.

I think it is great that he is making 100K a year on a 70 seater. Can a "regional" sustain that? Only if they are owned by a HEALTHY major. Where are the healthy majors these days? It is tough to justify that, especially since everyone else has taken a large pay cut. I know the wholleyowns are profitable for the moment, but so is Song (supposedly). Should I get paid more when I fly Song rotations vs mainline? We have all (at mainline and Song) taken a pay cut to help mother Delta. That is what people do when their corporation isn't doing well.

Fee for departure airlines in DCI are also doing well at the moment. The problem they don't see is that the "overall" impression for the business traveller is negative, especially if there is a LCC on the same route with a lager, more comfortable airplane. To cities with no jet service, the RJ is a great deal, though.

In future "regional" contract negotiations, it will be tough for the pilots to justify higher rates than current Jetblue E190 rates, and the rates may tumble. Then, and only then, will some of these senior "regional" pilots see that it may be the right move to move on. The RJDC bunch, on the otherhand, will fight to get larger aircraft at their airlines, so they don't have to start over with new vacations, weekend flying, and being an FO that may have to do a walkaround in the rain! (They haven't done that since they upgraded on the E110 Bandit back in '87)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
General Lee said:
I think it is great that he is making 100K a year on a 70 seater. Can a "regional" sustain that? Only if they are owned by a HEALTHY major. Where are the healthy majors these days? It is tough to justify that, especially since everyone else has taken a large pay cut. I know the wholleyowns are profitable for the moment, but so is Song (supposedly). Should I get paid more when I fly Song rotations vs mainline? We have all (at mainline and Song) taken a pay cut to help mother Delta. That is what people do when their corporation isn't doing well.

Fee for departure airlines in DCI are also doing well at the moment. The problem they don't see is that the "overall" impression for the business traveller is negative, especially if there is a LCC on the same route with a lager, more comfortable airplane. To cities with no jet service, the RJ is a great deal, though.

In future "regional" contract negotiations, it will be tough for the pilots to justify higher rates than current Jetblue E190 rates, and the rates may tumble. Then, and only then, will some of these senior "regional" pilots see that it may be the right move to move on. The RJDC bunch, on the otherhand, will fight to get larger aircraft at their airlines, so they don't have to start over with new vacations, weekend flying, and being an FO that may have to do a walkaround in the rain! (They haven't done that since they upgraded on the E110 Bandit back in '87)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Lets get to the nitty gritty of why some major airlines are struggling. it wasn't RJ's or the wicked witch of the west , it is mismanagement and rising fuelcosts plain and simple . blame who you want , but the facts still remain. I am done with this thread see ya.

General Lee said:
Even with a lack of pensions, the Majors will always be a better place to be than the regionals. There may be mergers in the future, and some more cost cutting, but thanks to the new benchmark---the Jetblue E190 rates---the regional pay will go down eventually too. Face it, how can those bean counters justify a higher rate for a 50 or 70 seat aircraft, when Jetblue currently offers 12 year payrates on 100 seaters far below yours? That won't float. And, you can't blame it on us---we didn't cause it. As our pay rates go down, yours will too--UNFORTUNATELY. Hopefully the Jetblue guys will change that pay rate, and that will help everyone out.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Yeah and by the way thanks for letting the regionals get RJ's.........Delta. How many jobs have been outsourced from that move? Spare us your crap General.

B6Busdriver said:
Yeah and by the way thanks for letting the regionals get RJ's.........Delta. How many jobs have been outsourced from that move? Spare us your crap General.

As though ALPA could have stopped it if it wanted to. Management runs the show. Always have and always will.

Latest resources

Back