• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAir 1549 and Alpha Protection

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is edited and copied from another Forum/Thread. I am not the Author. It does raise an interesting question.

“An opinion about the A320 from one unidentified pilot:

Don't be surprised if the Airbus fly by wire computers didn't put a perfectly good airplane in the water. In an older generation airplane like the 727 or 737 300/400 the throttles are hooked to the fuel controllers on the engine by a steel throttle cable ... On the Airbus nothing in the cockpit is real. Everything is electronic. The throttles, rudder and brake pedals and the side stick are hooked to rheostats who talk to a computer who talks to a electric hydraulic servo valve which in turn hopefully moves something.

In an older generation airplane when you hit birds the engines keep screaming or they blow up but they don't both roll back to idle simultaneously like happened to Flt. 1549. All it would take is for bird guts to plug a pressure sensor or knock the pitot probe off or plug it and the computers would roll the engines back to idle thinking they were over boosting because the computers were getting bad data. The Airbus is a real pile of sh!t... If the computer doesn't like all the airplane and engine parameters you don't get a power increase...A Boeing would still be flying."

Last edited:
As has been widely reported, one of the engines was still running at 35%. All buses were powered and the aircraft would of stayed in normal law with all protections.

or was it recovering from a flame out, and the plane was in elec emerg config still?

Just curious how you can make this post about the Airbus and how much safer the Boeing is. You obviously have no perspective whatsoever. I however,along with many, have flown as a captain on both a/c. I liked the 727,737,757, and the 767. I love the A-320 and the A-330. Don't bother responding to this post until you have flown both. Usairways A-320 captain.

Just curious how you can make this post about the Airbus and how much safer the Boeing is. You obviously have no perspective whatsoever. I however,along with many, have flown as a captain on both a/c. I liked the 727,737,757, and the 767. I love the A-320 and the A-330. Don't bother responding to this post until you have flown both. Usairways A-320 captain.

And furthermore, don't bother responding until you have flown these Aircraft for at least a total of 150 years. And then you will still only have enough experience to be called a "Rookie" and only then just barely.

F

only time i had an uncommanded rollback in cruise was on a RR powered 757..the p1 line from ffg to the eec leaked, and the eec sensed an overboost and rolled back the engine in cruise flight..if you disconnect the auto-thrust in the bus, it's not any different than any other FADEC engine on a boeing or otherwise..

"Just curious how you can make this post about the Airbus and how much safer the Boeing is."

Hey, Mr. 321...Reading is fundamental. You might try re-reading the beginning of my post:

" This is edited and copied from another Forum/Thread. I am not the Author."

Now, "Mr. Flyer of both types of aircraft" could you make an intelligent statement that responds to the original author's points?

Thank You.

YKWYFDB

P.S. - If you would ever like to enter into a business arrangement with me, I would be more than happy to do so. Don't worry about paperwork. I'll just write up a nice contract that I'm sure you will find quite agreeable.

Last edited:
" Usairways A-320 captain. "

Ya' know, about 25 years ago....that might have impressed someone.

Also, it's more impressive ( as you pontificate about all that is aviation ) when you spell your own company's name properly, and capitalize the title like so:

-US Airways A-320 Captain

Looks better, right? Much more impressive I think.

Oh, and I flew an A-320 on my computer last night so I feel it is okay to be responding to your posts now.

Is that okay? Am I qualified?

Okay, I'm off to call my Buddy now....Who is also a "US Airways A-320 Captain ", and who has also "flown both types of a/c", and who has also flown Lockheeds as well, AND who (most importantly) is NOT a D!ck.

Thanks for playing.

YKMKR

Last edited:
It "should" have still been in normal law since one engine was operating...although at a greatly reduced thrust.

Golden Falcon...I don't think they were in alternate law, and the RAT operates down to 100 kts with higher speeds being better, but it still working to 100.

glasspilot1...the gear down CRC should have been going off below 750' AGL RA...

...edit, just read the initial report by the FAA and they say that all systems "were" operational as far as electrical and hydraulic, and that the aircraft "was" in normal law during the entire sequence of events...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back