Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sf3boy said:
Ty,
I admit to being very inexperienced in aviation/airlines. I have only been in the airlines for over 5 years and have 5000+ hours. Your profile states your are just as inexperienced as I.

Your profile lists no ATP, no type ratings, and therefore no command time. Your posts indicate a similar lack of experience. If you have some PIC time, maybe you should update your profile.

Regardless, I stand by my post. There is nothing wrong with the actions of the AAL Captain, and I'll bet the FAA, NTSB and the TSA all agree with him, too.

JAFI said:
As to any enforcement action for the captain who lands his aircraft after the first officer becomes incapacitated, if this is a scholarly discussion – have fun, if you are talking real world – some of you are just too paranoid, IMHO no violation occurred nor would there be any action except for an award for doing a good job. The captain accessed the situation, obtained assistance, followed correct procedure, therefore end of any possible enforcement “story”. The captain did what he (or she) was supposed to do – conduct a safe flight and meet any emergency condition that arises.
Personally, I believe that if the FAA, TSA, or the airline tried to take any disciplinary action against the captain or his "fill-in" copilot the public outcry would be long and loud. Sounds to me like the captain was just practicing a little 'ol fashioned CRM. You know - making the most of what you've got.

'Sled

First, a question. Not being prior military, I have no idea what a military pilots credentials would look like. What do they look like?

Next, considering that the probability of someone from the back actually being needed in the cockpit is somewhere less than slim to none. I wonder if all of the Walter Mitty private pilots (and us offline jumpseaters) are dissapointed that it didn't happen to us?

And, I have no problem with placing a pax in the right seat in such an event if I had some idea that he was legit. However, I'd be very concerned about verifying that legitimacy. Does anyone think that it might be a good way for Al Querda to get cockpit access? Maybe find some way to slip some nerve agent on the crew during boarding, and then make sure that the FA knew that the terrorist was a "pilot". If I can think of it, I'm sure that the bad guys have also thought of it. Crap, now I've scared myself. I think that I'll just sit in my seat and hide during boarding from now on.:)

enigma

enigma said:
First, a question. Not being prior military, I have no idea what a military pilots credentials would look like. What do they look like?
Aside from a standard military ID, and perhaps a restricted area badge in some cases, there's no such thing as a "pilot credential." You might ask to see a coin, but that's another story. :)

enigma said:
Next, considering that the probability of someone from the back actually being needed in the cockpit is somewhere less than slim to none. I wonder if all of the Walter Mitty private pilots (and us offline jumpseaters) are dissapointed that it didn't happen to us?

And, I have no problem with placing a pax in the right seat in such an event if I had some idea that he was legit. However, I'd be very concerned about verifying that legitimacy. Does anyone think that it might be a good way for Al Querda to get cockpit access? Maybe find some way to slip some nerve agent on the crew during boarding, and then make sure that the FA knew that the terrorist was a "pilot". If I can think of it, I'm sure that the bad guys have also thought of it. Crap, now I've scared myself. I think that I'll just sit in my seat and hide during boarding from now on.:)

enigma
I wouldn't be too concerned - - just ask 'em for the secret password. ;)

TonyC said:
Aside from a standard military ID, and perhaps a restricted area badge in some cases, there's no such thing as a "pilot credential." You might ask to see a coin, but that's another story. :)
Let's hear it

Not trying to be short or snappy, but if you need to hear it, you wouldn't understand. It's a military thing.

sf3boy said:
.................And bottom line, a captain should be able to land a plane by himself.
Exactly, he put that aircraft in much greater jeapordy by having an "unknown" in the cockpit.

He should not be faulted by the company or feds for what he did but I would not have done it that way in this post 9/11 world.

SuperFLUF said:
Exactly, he put that aircraft in much greater jeapordy by having an "unknown" in the cockpit.

He should not be faulted by the company or feds for what he did but I would not have done it that way in this post 9/11 world.
B.S. I'd happily have a rated Air Force O-6 next to me anytime if I felt the need. What a ridiculous scenario... Al Quaeda operative who happens to be an accent-free, mid 40's anglo-type, slips a seizure mickey to only the FO, jumps up and announces how he'll help land the plane.

He was recruited to help.

Stop trying to hang the Captain. Capt. authority is already eroded quite enough, thank you.

Latest resources

Back