USAF Officer Takes FO's Place During Medical Emergency

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rvsm410

Sorry I copied this thread from the Eagle-Lounge, thought it was pretty cool. Cudos to the person that posted it there:

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]http://www.aero-news.net/

USAF Officer Takes FO's Place During Medical Emergency
Fri, 12 Nov '04

I'm From The Government And I'm Here To Help
Like most passengers on a commercial airlines flight, Lt. Col. Scott Neumann probably expected a long, uneventful flight from Dulles International Airport in Washington, DC, to Los Angeles. Boy, was he wrong.

Here's the FAA's version of what happened:

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: AAL149 Make/Model: B738 Description: 737-800
Date: 11/09/2004 Time: 1657
Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: None
City: COLORADO SPRINGS State: CO Country: US

DESCRIPTION
AMERICAN AIRLINES, AAL-149, A BOEING B-738 ACFT, DECLARED A MEDICAL EMERGENCY AFTER A CREW MEMBER EXPERIENCED A SEIZURE, THE ACFT DIVERTED AND LANDED WITHOUT INCIDENT, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
WEATHER: KCOS METAR 091653Z AUTO 19017KT 10SM CLR A2999
OTHER DATA
Activity: Business Phase: Unknown Operation: Air Carrier
Departed: WASH, DC DULLES Dep Date: 11/09/2004 Dep. Time:
Destination: LOS ANGELES, CA Flt Plan: IFR Wx Briefing: U
Last Radio Cont: 2 M FINAL Last Clearance: CLRD TO LAND
FAA FSDO: DENVER, CO (NM03) Entry date: 11/10/2004

And Now... The Rest Of The Story
Neumann (pictured right at the controls of a B-1B as a major in 1998, in the only photo of him we could find), deputy commander for the 412th Operations Group at Edwards Air Force Base, CA, had just wrapped up a semi-annual meeting with the National Aeronautic Association contest and records board and was settled into his seat in coach class for his coast-to-coast trip Tuesday.

During the flight, he'd struck up a conversation with one of the flight attendants. He shared that he'd been a test pilot for the B-2 and other aircraft.

With small talk aside, the flight attendant went about her business and so did Colonel Neumann -- but not for long. "About one and a half hours into the flight, the flight attendant made an announcement requesting a doctor or nurse," he said. Then she gathered up the airliner's medical equipment, oxygen bottle and headed toward the cockpit. The First Officer was having a seizure.

The pilot had struggled to restrain the seizing co-pilot as he requested assistance and piloted the aircraft during the episode.

A nurse who was a passenger behind Colonel Neumann responded to the request for assistance. And when the call came out for a couple of strong able bodies, Colonel Neumann and a fellow traveler stepped forward. They moved the First Officer into the forward galley to allow the nurse to treat his symptoms.

The 737's pilot, now without a First Officer, decided an emergency divert to Colorado Springs Airport was in order. The flight attendant told him about Colonel Neumann's experience as a test pilot.

"You'll do," the captain told the colonel. So Colonel Neumann moved from coach to better than first class. New to the 737 airframe, Colonel Neumann said he helped the pilot run checklists and land the plane.

Upon arrival in Colorado Springs, just after 1000, a medical crew arrived to assist the First Officer.

"Whenever there's an emergency at the airport, we're part of a joint response with AMR [American Medical Response] and Colorado Springs Fire Department teams," said Technical Sgt. Chancey Cruger, lead medical responder for the Peterson AFB crew. He led Staff Sgts. Jason Linta and Frank Poyner, and Senior Airman Eric Schrager, a reservist who is also a Colorado Springs firefighter.

"They were on board as soon as the door was opened and immediately began giving emergency medical care to the co-pilot," Colonel Neumann said.

As the first responders on scene, the Team Pete crew assessed the situation and put their well-honed training to work.

"He was conscious but not coherent," Sergeant Cruger said. They worked together to stabilize the co-pilot, asking him basic questions, taking vitals and checking blood sugars.
The AMR team arrived and transported the co-pilot to Memorial Hospital in Colorado Springs. His condition is unknown.

After their patient departed, Sergeant Cruger and his crew stayed behind to help the flight attendants clean up the mess, which included blood. "The flight attendant said they'd clean it up, but we have the equipment to do the job right," Sergeant Cruger said. "That way they're not exposed to any blood-borne illnesses."

As witness to the entire medical response, Colonel Neumann offered high praise for the medical response crew from Team Pete. "They were very professional and did an outstanding job," he said. "I can't think of a better way for the passengers of the aircraft to see their Air Force in action than to watch those fire department rescuers caring for the co-pilot."

Unfortunately, Colonel Neumann's eventful flight led to a crew and aircraft change in what was to be a non-stop flight to Los Angeles. Given his involvement, the colonel was late in arriving to the ticket counter to get onto the new flight. The new aircraft was booked solid.

He said the ticketing agent asked if he'd been the one who co-piloted after the emergency. Upon confirmation, the agent booked him a first-class seat. "Not quite as good as the one I had," Colonel Neumann said.

On the plus side, the emergency allowed the test pilot to log in "two or three tenths of an hour in a 737," he said. It might not seem like much when compared to the stick time he has with the B-2, B-1, F-16, KC-135, C-12, and C-130 airframes.

"But this will be a lot more memorable," he said. [ANN Thanks Senior Master Sgt. Ty Foster for the story, and Staff Sgt. Denise Johnson, USAF, 21st Space Wing Public Affairs, for the additional verification.]
[/font]

I read an article not too long ago about the actual likelihood of your average private pilot successfully landing an airliner and walking away from it is actually pretty slim.

But really... what a story to tell at the O'Club..

Freight Dog said:
I read an article not too long ago about the actual likelihood of your average private pilot successfully landing an airliner and walking away from it is actually pretty slim.

I think it was on this board...
It's a good thing no one on here is your "average" private pilot ;).

-mini

The alternate...

...cool thing (before Sep 11 2001) was to be able to legally rejoin on an airliner...get to see all the PAX staring at you through the windows.

I actually had a friend of mine get to rejoin on a SWA 737 that had blown a tire on takeoff out of PHX. Funny story, with the ultimate thank you...a personal thank you letter from ol' Herb himself. Does that count as a recommendation?

Fly Safe!
FastCargo

garf12 said:
every flight simmers wet dream
heh heh, you said it, man. i flew from columbus to chicago in december of 2001, just 3 months post-9/11, and even though it was just an hour long flight, i was daydreaming about it getting hijacked and me saving the day. as for the other bit of info about a private pilot being successful at landing, well, that was quite sobering to me. props to the colonel, though.

"I read an article not too long ago about the actual likelihood of your average private pilot successfully landing an airliner and walking away from it is actually pretty slim."

What article?

Bull*hit.....

((7)) said:
"I read an article not too long ago about the actual likelihood of your average private pilot successfully landing an airliner and walking away from it is actually pretty slim."

What article?

Bull*hit.....
Saw an article like that a few years ago. They took 10 private pilots, SEL only and put them in a sim (737 I think). I do not remember the place it was held. Anyhow, most crashed on their first attempt. After a couple of landings with a coach they were then able to get it on the ground in one piece. There were still a large number of overruns and excursions into the grass but all 10 were able to get it stopped with no major damage.

It has been a while but I will try to find the reference. I was thinking it was an Airforce study but I can't be sure.

I think the extra speed was the biggest thing that got them. After all a 172's max speed is still slower than min speed on approach for most Transport catagory aircraft.

I am in no way badmouthing private pilots. I remember my upgrade from a 152 to a 172, man was I tearing the sky up!!! :)

Last edited:
KeroseneSnorter said:
Saw an article like that a few years ago. They took 10 private pilots, SEL land only and put them in a sim (737 I think). I do not remember the place it was held. Anyhow, most crashed on their first attempt. After a couple of landings with a coach they were then able to get it on the ground in one piece. There were still a large number of overruns and excursions into the grass but all 10 were able to get it stopped with no major damage.

It has been a while but I will try to find the reference.
by coach do you mean instructor? did they get to log it?

-mini

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back