"Usable" fuel capacity???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NoPax said:
When I fuelled at the FBO I eventually got a job instructing at I put more than the capacity into a Cessna 152, and a Seneca II.
REALLY? Were the tanks dry because of mx?

The Type Certificate Data Sheet (Cert #2A13, Revision 45) for the Cherokee 140 indicates a fuel capacity of 50 gallons at 95 degrees F. It also indicates in Note 1 of the same TCDS that an unuseable capacity of 2.2 lbs exists for the same, regardless of serial number. Therefore, the actual amount of unuseable fuel varies with temperature. The total volume in gallons for the tank remains constant due to physical dimensions, but the volume of a pound of fuel varies with it's temperature.

You can split hairs all you want wandering how much useable fuel you have, but from a practical point of view, if you never burn off the bottom half, as the saying goes, you won't run out of fuel. Never burn down that low, and you don't have to worry about how far you can push the airplane.

FN FAL said:
REALLY? Were the tanks dry because of mx?

No, just a couple of idiot pilots coming back from long cross countries. It wasn't much over the max fuel capacity, and I didn't spill any, nor did any leak out a vent...

Maybe your pump needed to be calibrated. Maybe they paid for more than they actually got? I had an FBO try to tell me I bought more than my capacity once--turned out the fueler forgot to reset the meter before pumping my fuel.

I had a guy put in 94 gallons in my 182, it only holds 92 with 88 useable. There is gouging going on at FBO's, needless to say I contacted the Department of weights and measures to investigate. Always watch what they put in, a lot of places will rip you off. I was told this was one of many calls they had on this guy, he advertises the lowest fuel prices in my area, now I know why.

Fuel volume, and consequently gallonage, varies with fuel temperature. Rated capacity for a fuel cell occurs at a specific temperature...change the temperature, the actual amount of fuel that goes into that tank will vary from the published numbers.

avbug said:
Fuel volume, and consequently gallonage, varies with fuel temperature. Rated capacity for a fuel cell occurs at a specific temperature...change the temperature, the actual amount of fuel that goes into that tank will vary from the published numbers.

I understand that, but by 10 gallons or approximately 10%?

Ten gallons difference due to temperature, yes. Ten percent, I don't know...it may be possible, but that's for an intellectual type to sort out. However, in your case it was two gallons difference...you said 94 were put in, with a 92 gallon capacity. That's not ten gallons, but two, and it's only 2.2% of the total capacity, not ten percent.

When considering the ammount of fuel put into the tank, it's the total capacity, rather than the useable ammount that's relevant.

Why were your tanks that low to begin with?

A typical light aircraft fuel system is a float activated rheostat, and is purely volumetric in nature. A fuel gauge calibrated at zero degrees C will experience approximately a five percent error when going to fuel temp extremes of plus or minus 55 degrees, as suggested by AC 27.1337. Bear in mind that's strictly error on the fuel gauge. The variation by temperature is approximately 1% of fuel volume for each six degrees off the calibration temp, for some fuels.

You may have less useable fuel than you think if you've just flown at altitude or from a colder location, if you're reckoning fuel burn by gallons instead of pounds.

Also of note is the fact that virtually all gas pump calibration measurement is done using a Seraphin can, which measures strictly volume, and doesn't take into account temperature.

Latest resources

Back