• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USA Today on CAL 737 crash in Denver

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is funny how we will bash the ppl that goes on CNN and gives his opinion, but some will come here and give their "professional" opinion and think that they are helping the investigation.

No one hear is "a party" to the investigation. (If they are, they should be shot.) No one here is holding themselves out publicly claiming they are experts. At the same time, people want to talk about what's going on. Being that we're a social animal, it's our nature to talk.

I don't think anyone other than the trolls think they can submit their own "sunshine report."

I personally would like to hear what CO's FOM say's about tiller usage. Mine says don't touch it above 20 knots.

People seek information on a website called flightINFO.

If you don't like the forum, don't read it and just wait for the NTSB. Problem solved.

Agreed....

I'm not trying to "help" the investigation. I'll just say that when I push the thrust levers up my left hand is resting on the yoke or on my thigh. Period. Using the tiller at high speeds is a VERY BAD idea.

Gup

More planes than just the ole Guppy has lost control on the runway due to excessive "tiller" vice rudder steering.
People are soooooo sensitive as to others opinions. You know what they say about opinions, they are like a-holes, everyone has one!
Only the NTSB report will have any weight, everything else is just opinion and speculation. Glad to see no one was killed in this near tragedy!

Agreed....

I'm not trying to "help" the investigation. I'll just say that when I push the thrust levers up my left hand is resting on the yoke or on my thigh. Period. Using the tiller at high speeds is a VERY BAD idea.

Gup

More planes than just the ole Guppy has lost control on the runway due to excessive "tiller" vice rudder steering.
People are soooooo sensitive as to others opinions. You know what they say about opinions, they are like a-holes, everyone has one!
Only the NTSB report will have any weight, everything else is just opinion and speculation. Glad to see no one was killed in this near tragedy!

I don't fly the 73 so maybe someone who does can chime in but on the bus the tiller will become inop once the aircraft reaches a certain speed. Back when I flew the EMB-145, same thing, I forget at which speed. Doesn't the Boeings have this feature?

I don't fly the 73 so maybe someone who does can chime in but on the bus the tiller will become inop once the aircraft reaches a certain speed. Back when I flew the EMB-145, same thing, I forget at which speed. Doesn't the Boeings have this feature?
Nose Wheel Steering
The airplane is equipped with nose wheel steering which is powered by hydraulic
system A when the NOSE WHEEL STEERING switch is in the NORM position.
Nose wheel steering is powered by hydraulic system B when the NOSE WHEEL
STEERING switch is placed to ALT. Nose wheel steering is powered only when
the airplane is on the ground. In the event of a hydraulic leak downstream of the
Landing Gear Transfer Unit, resulting in a loss of hydraulic system B fluid in the
reservoir, a sensor closes the Landing Gear Transfer Valve and alternate steering
will be lost.
Primary steering is controlled through the nose wheel steering wheel. Limited
steering control is available through the rudder pedals. A pointer on the nose
steering wheel assembly shows nose wheel steering position relative to the neutral
setting. Rudder pedal steering is deactivated as the nose gear strut extends.

"It is unusual to need a tiller in a 737 on a runway, regardless of wind," said Cox, a former US Airways pilot who is also a safety consultant. "In all my years, I never needed the tiller. The rudder steering was always sufficient."

Always nice to have a USAir pilot on hand to stab another pilot in the back. How many '73s did they wreck? I'm sure Mr. Cox is a hero in his own mind. Prick. :rolleyes:

I think most captains would try to use the tiller if they realized their a/c was about to run off the runway.

They shouldn't unless they have full rudder in before trying it, imo. I'm no expert and have no knowledge or opinion on this accident. However, saying that using the tiller at highspeed is a good idea doesn't seem right to me. It seems that the rudder would be much more effective at yaw control at high speeds than those little nosetires.

Both pilots remarked that all appeared normal until the aircraft began to deviate from the runway centerline. The Captain noted that the airplane suddenly diverged to the left, and attempts to correct the deviation with the rudder were unsuccessful. He stated that he briefly attempted to return the aircraft to the centerline by using the tiller to manipulate the steering of the nose gear but was unable to keep the aircraft on the runway.

http://ntsb.gov/Pressrel/2009/090107.html

This is from the NTSB update regarding the incident issued 1/7.

They shouldn't unless they have full rudder in before trying it, imo.

Good info from the NTSB update. Sounds like they did exactly what you thought. Full rudder, then add tiller.

Latest resources

Back