Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok, I'm curious about something.

Let's take the accident case for example:

You are taking off to the north and have a strong crosswind out of the west. A left crosswind. Which technique do you use, A or B?

A. The wind is trying to roll the aircraft to the left so you need to hold right aileron as you takeoff.
B. You need to hold aileron into the wind so you should be holding left aileron as you takeoff.

Include in your answer how you would use the rudder as well.

And finally, would you change the above technique if it was a quartering tailwind or quartering headwind or does the headwind/tailwind factor not matter? i.e., you would hold the same aileron technique whether the crosswind was a quartering headwind or tailwind.

I only ask this because I recently flew with a 737 captain who used the wrong technique.

I'm not trying to "help" the investigation. I'll just say that when I push the thrust levers up my left hand is resting on the yoke or on my thigh. Period. Using the tiller at high speeds is a VERY BAD idea.

Gup

Where exactly are the "thrust levers" in a 737? Mine has throttles. The french use thrust levers (pronounced thrust leever).

PIPE:D

I don't understand.......According to the NTSB report.

The Captain has one hand on the tiller and one hand on the thrust levers (below V1)......Thant means no aileron input for the crosswind.

Sounds like bad pilot technique to me.

I don't understand.......According to the NTSB report.

The Captain has one hand on the tiller and one hand on the thrust levers (below V1)......Thant means no aileron input for the crosswind.

That is not in the NTSB update. It says he tried the tiller once it was clear the airplane was leaving the runway, seems reasonable to me.

Is aileron into the wind proper in the 737? Or does is pop the spoilers on the upwind wing like the Airbus?

You are taking off to the north and have a strong crosswind out of the west. A left crosswind. Which technique do you use, A or B?

A. The wind is trying to roll the aircraft to the left so you need to hold right aileron as you takeoff.
B. You need to hold aileron into the wind so you should be holding left aileron as you takeoff.

And finally, would you change the above technique if it was a quartering tailwind or quartering headwind or does the headwind/tailwind factor not matter? i.e., you would hold the same aileron technique whether the crosswind was a quartering headwind or tailwind.

I only ask this because I recently flew with a 737 captain who used the wrong technique.

"B" with the caveat that rudder is primary but in all the airplanes I've ever flown, the "down" aileron drag is effective in directional control. One should be cautious not to raise the upwind spoiler much with to aggressive aileron movement. I once had a line check pilot tell me not to do it in a A320. I asked why not?His reponse was it is fly by wire. Hmm, I asked why that would change the rules of aerodynamics? No response. I then requested that he write a letter to me copiing the Chief Pilot and the FAA saying I was not use crosswind aileron.

I never got the letter.

B. A tailwind turns into a head wind when you start rolling forward so technique would not change.

Note: On an aircraft with roll spoilers, aileron input on takeoff should not be so much as to activate spoilers, which would add significant drag to the upwind wing. This, of course, does not apply to the MU-2. I have no clue what technique to use in an aircraft without ailerons.

Is aileron into the wind proper in the 737? Or does is pop the spoilers on the upwind wing like the Airbus?

In strong crosswind I use a very small sidestick input into the wind in the Bus. I don't throw it to the stop or anything but I think it helps with aircraft control. Also, our FOM dictates using about 1/2 stick forward until 80 kts to insure the pedals give positive steering in strong crosswinds. Regardless, I've seen captains abandon the yoke to grab the tiller the second the aircraft touches down on a landing *(pretty sloppy, if you ask me) but I've never seen a guy ride the tiller down the runway on takeoff.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back