• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USA Today -- Airline Employment

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Like it or not, train driver (secks) is right on. What we get paid in a capitalistic economy has nothing to with how hard we worked to obtain that job. It's simple economics. Supply and demand. Take a look at professional athletes. Not many in our society can throw a baseball 90 mph. Those who can will earn a very nice living in professional sports. If everyone wanted to drive trains, and there were an abundance of qualified train engineers, the wages would reflect that.

If the industry continues to trend in it's current direction, there will less people willing to pursue it as a career. Maybe, there will be an eventual pilot shortage (highly unlikely), then pilot wages will trend upwards. The reality is, there are too many qualified pilots for the available positions. If you are in high school, or thinking of majoring in aviation, you really got to ask yourself is this going to be a vialble career for me in hte future. Riddleman80 kinda makes me smile. I really want to talk to this young man 15 years from now. It's all fun when your young, and have no real responsibilties. I was there too. I was a 23 year old airline new hire. 15 years later, wife, kids and mortgage, I need more than just a "fun" job and a title. I love to fly as much as the next person, but this isn't a hobby.

Back to studying,........ persuing career #2.

"I was a 23 year old airline new hire. 15 years later, wife, kids and mortgage, I need more than just a "fun" job and a title. I love to fly as much as the next person, but this isn't a hobby."

BINGO!!!

46 Driver great post

A voice of reality in a sea of blame and what is in it for me posts. Change is the only constant. You can not go back to the old days; the olds no longer fit the reality of today's airline industry. Check the post on the "State of Industry" on the major interview board, written by a UAL Captain who has the big picture.

Last edited:
Hi!

BNSF is making a TON of money! The MOP-UP (MO-Pacific&Union Pacific) is not doing as well, because their mgmt isn't as good.

The RR industry is like the airline, except the RRs R way ahead of the airlines. The RRs started out with a TON of small cos., and have seen massive consolidation (the BNSF is the old Burlington Route, Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Frisco and Santa Fe). There are only 5 or so RRs left, with no LCC to compete with, as they've all merged together.

All of these RRs are freight only. They did get gov't subsidies, as the airlines did, to get started. The gov't gave them the land for their right-of-ways. As far as I know now, they aren't currently subsidized.

Truckers pay a fee to use the public highway system. Their fee covers about 10% of the cost-so us taxpayers pay the other 90%. We also pay huge subsidies for public rail transportation and the waterways used for shipping.

Non-drivers pay huge subsidies to try and maintain our highways. The tax we pay at the pump only covers about 1/2 of the cost it takes to maintain the roads.

Airlines, like all other public transportation, is heavily subsidized. Each new aircraft that is purchased by an airline from a manufacturer is paid for by the airline and the taxpayer. The airline pays about 1/2 the cost to make the plane, and we (the taxpayer) pay the other half.

The RRs had the same union/mgmt problems that the airlines are having, and the RRs with successful union/mgmt relationships prosper today. The RRs with poor union/mgmt relations are in the dust bin of history.

Cliff
YIP

ATPCLIFF,

What the government pays for half of the airplans built?

Latest resources

Back