Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EagleRJ

Are we there yet?
It's only a contract for 23 aircraft, but our national pride and national identity has taken a hit. POTUS will now soon be flown around in a British/Italian helicopter (which Lockheed Martin will assemble in this country and stick a US flag on the side).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6881727/

American-designed and built Sikorsky helicopters have served as Marine One for 40 years. Maybe we should also consider buying the A-380 to serve as Air Force One? Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but I think only American helicopters should have been considered for this contract.

Well Airbus is trying to build a plant in Wichita to be eligible for the USAF tanker contract. What a shame...

He was Russian born, but fled to America in 1919. His work was done here.

BTW, does POTUS need 23 of them, or are their other customers for these 23 choppers?

Just goes to show how messed up this country has become, heck cancel the F-22 buy some euro fighters or maybe a mirage.

EagleRJ said:
It's only a contract for 23 aircraft, but our national pride and national identity has taken a hit. POTUS will now soon be flown around in a British/Italian helicopter (which Lockheed Martin will assemble in this country and stick a US flag on the side). American-designed and built Sikorsky helicopters have served as Marine One for 40 years. Maybe we should also consider buying the A-380 to serve as Air Force One? Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but I think only American helicopters should have been considered for this contract.

No, you're not being too sensitive. I worked on Sikorskys many moons ago: They are made of the right stuff. WTF happened to the CityBus (or whatever it's called) that Sikorsky certified here recently? From what I've read, it is the top dawg in the helo fleet, and is based on H60 components. What more could you want?

I'm not into the whole Buy American frenzy that's been going on in this country over the last 20 years...I drive a Toyota that never breaks down..., however, this is national security we are talking about. Also, Americans do generally make the best aircraft, with few exceptions, IMHO.

I am disappointed the gov. has gone this route.

C

The $6.1 billion contract - $3.6 billion for the fleet of 23 helicopters and the rest for research and development - is far from the Pentagon's largest.

For any of you who care how your tax dollars are spent: Although "far from the Pentagon's largest" deal in terms of dollars, the math works out to $156,521,739.13 per A/C at the quoted price per unit. Factor in the R&D, it works out to $265,217,391.30 per copter.

Think its got a Plasma TV and a mini-bar in there for that much?

And last I heard we've got one President, do we really need 23 Marine Ones?

Corona said:
I drive a Toyota that never breaks down..., however, this is national security we are talking about.

Good for you. Bad for the U.S.A., despite some assembly in the states.

wackford said:
Good for you. Bad for the U.S.A., despite some assembly in the states.

I guess I'm not so sure bad for the USA. I drive an Japanese car aswell, over 110,000 miles and never done a things other than oil,brakes, and tires. I believe this competition forces US car makers tomake better products. If there was no competition, we'd still need tobuy a new car every few years like we did in the 80s before theJapanese cars made it here. Without competition GM, Ford, Etc wouldhave no incentive to improve their product.

They always launch several helos when the prez needs a lift for decoy purposes. My question is, why do the Marines have a lock on that flying? Why not the Army? The Army's had a much longer aviation tradition than the Marine Corpse.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back