• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Finally a type rating I would pay for.... If I had money.:0

Warbirdski

I know you don't care, but you actually can't get a type in the Su-27

One of our Captains was part of a group restoring a MiG-19. I think they were going to fly it in the "experimental" category. One FAA stipulation was that they had to de-activate the ejection seat, perhaps due to problems with keeping it maintained. :confused:

A friend of mine who flew MiG-21's (1500+ hours in them) for the Bulgarian AF, was working with a company restoring a -21. He was to be the one to test fly the airplane and deliver it. He was going to help the owner get checked out in it as well. They call the FAA and they tell him his previous MiG-21 experience means nothing to them and he needs to get the required training and the type. The guy who would do his training had less time in -21's than most of this guys students!

what does one do to get "checked out" in such an airframe. . ? There was a very low time, fresh Mig 21 on ebay last week for 40k (cheaper than a vette, although probably close to $3.5k an hour to operate). We were having a discussion around the water cooler here at Garmin about how cool it would be to stuff it full of Garmin glass and hit the show circuit. . . it was already on a FAA A.C. (experimental) but what must a pilot do to be legal?

It was a joke....

....So I'm not funny. Big surprise there. What a kick in the pants that would be to fly though.

Letter of Authorization (LOA) I believe is what is needed to fly as PIC in one. Tac Air is based in Reno it looked like, not that these will be the first Su-27s to fly in Nevada airspace by any means.

Letter of Authorization (LOA) I believe is what is needed to fly as PIC in one. Tac Air is based in Reno it looked like, not that these will be the first Su-27s to fly in Nevada airspace by any means.

Thats what we were thinking. . .

PR Smith: I know you were joking. I just wanted to clarify the "type vs. experimental warbird" rating.

LOA: no, not any more. LOA's (and LOOA's) went away about 4 years ago. Now, you get training from a designated instructor (like me, if it's a T-38 or F-5). That instructor will sign you off when complete, and "recommend" you to an examiner that's designated for the type aircraft you want to check out in. You fly your checkride with that examiner, and you get your rating. It shows up on the back of your pilot certificate under section "XIII LIMITATIONS" as and "Authorized Experimental Aircraft". This is required for any Surplus Military Turbine Powered Aircraft (SMTPA), or any prop aircraft over 600 (?) horsepower.

I don't have the exact details at my fingertips, but I believe you need 1000 hours and a commercial instrument certificate as a prerequisite.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back