Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lou3

Minimums...Minimums!
I am currently enlisted Supply Corp in the USNR, presently on IRR status by preference. I do fly for a living, however. It looks like some opportunities might exist to transition (change rate) into an C-130 FE in the USNR. If I was not so dadgummed old I would love to be a Naval Aviator, but alas, that window in life has since passed me by. About the closest I can now get to that is sitting sideways on the C-130. Is this a true 'cockpit' job (ie, like the few civilian counterpart jobs left) or is it just another grunt enlisted guy up front. Those in the know, I would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Without aircraft maintenance experience I don't think you would be eligible for a FE position. You would first have to cross rate, then get some experience in your new rate, then apply to be an FE. Most FE's at our squadron are E-6 or E-7 AD's or AE's, but I think all aviation maintenance rates are able to apply.

Not sure what you mean by a "cockpit" job, but if you're implying that you won't have to get your hands dirty then this is definitely not the job for you. The Navy C-130 FE's are responsible for being able to fix anything on the aircraft (with the help of the loadmasters, who are also maintainers) when it breaks down on the road, which it does often. The FE sits in between and behind the pilots facing forward and runs all the aircraft systems in flight.

It's an important job with a lot of responsibility (I think you need to be an E-5 to even apply) and a great way to see the world. I highly recommend it to anyone who's eligible.

Good luck!

Thanks for the information, I am currently an SK1 however, no mtc. background. The Squad in question that I am researching is VR53 "Capital Express". Sorry about the 'sitting sideways' remark.

Latest resources

Back