Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Military Cargo Outsourcing..Unbelievable!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Stupid question...well, 2 actually.

Is there any military cargo that will not fit in a C17, but will fit in a C-5 or larger aircraft?

How many FREDs are out there these days?

the armored troop carriers dont fit in 747s hence the Antonovs

How is the staffing on the LCF? Some of us would still like to transition to it.

This last July I went out to buy a flag to put it in front of the house, I went to 4 different stores and couldn't find a single American flag made in America, go figure. I'll be damn if I'm going to waive an American flag made in Korea or China, so this 4th. of July I went flag less

This paragraph shows so much ignorance of reality that it's hard to know where to begin.

AMC contractors have never been wholly supported by the military. AMC serves as a supplemental carrier through which military uplift is only part of the equation.

Yes it does show ignorance of reality-your ignorance. The AMC contracts are the bread and butter of quite a few carriers, such as World, Kalitta, Omni. ATA was just about on the skids prior to the first gulf war, AMC pulled their chestnuts out of the fire. If you lose money on a DOD contract, it's because you can't add.

Operators such as Kalitta, which did the bulk of their trade out of Hong Kong carrying Victoria's Secret and other products, are furloughing because of many factors unrelated to AMC flights.

Yes brightspark, but understand that when you fly for MAC Uncle Sam buys the gas. Since all the freight is usually one-way, it's a part 91 ferry back from Sig, Diego, Kuwait, wherever, with full tanks. They then get basically a free repo to HKG with some gas to spare instead of flying westbound empty, in essence double-dipping. (Are ya still with me?)

To suggest that the use of foreign contractors or Antonov aircraft has anything to do with loss of US jobs is ridiculous. It doesn't.

There has been a recent reduction in AMC flying to be sure, but this hasn't significantly impacted the operators who fill the CRAF or supplemental needs.

If operators do cut back and can't carry the load after they've furloughed, then the material still has to be carried and someone else will carry it.

Well if Omni were to lose MAC flying I think you'd see them park their entire fleet. Every load that Antonov in CHS carries is a load a 121 carrier loses out on. I went on one of those Antonov's once in MMGL, there wasn't one tire on the a/c I would have backed out the driveway in my car with. The crew slept in the airplane. While it may be that Antonov is the only civilian a/c that can carry the BFV, your post does show your ignorance of the dependency of these carriers on MAC.

I doubt there is anyone on this board that has enough money to sway any politician to make a decision much less a decision based on whats good for the entire country.
We are own worst enemy.

I thought the Antonov's were owned by a British company. The ones that flew out of Houston were.

There was a joint venture between Volga-Dnepr and UK Company Heavy Lift (Volga owned the planes, Heavy Lift sold the space) but that terminated 1999 or 2000. They are all Russian operations, far as I am aware.

Just to add to the other comments nobody is chartering an Antonov unless it is a size/weight issue military or commercial. They cost about twice as much, they do half as much, take twice as long, fly half as far, etc. The only purpose for them is taking extremely dense cargo, oversized cargo, or operations out of fields which a commerical plane can't land (i.e. some West African sh1t h0le).

Latest resources

Back