• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US House passes bill restricting action against Boeing's 787 Charleston line

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, problem not solved (not that I think it is a problem in the first place). The law still applies. The NLRB has a responsibility under the law to ensure that companies and union don't engage in illegal self-help. For a union under the NLRA, that means no strikes, slow-downs, or other economic self-help before the reaching of impasse on mandatory subjects of bargaining. For the company, that means no unilateral changing of working conditions, and no retaliation for legal job actions. Boeing has made public statements that clearly indicate that their decision to move their plant to SC was simply because they were angry about the last strike in Washington. That is blatantly illegal, as it should be, and the NLRB is correct to act. It wouldn't matter whether Boeing was attempting to move the plant to SC, to China, or to Mars for that matter. The law still applies to Boeing as an American company. What the Republicans are attempting to do is direct interference with a law that has been on the books for nearly a century.

PCL,

This whole thing is a political stunt by the Obama administration. The NLRB righ now is completely slanted toward the unions. This hasn't always been the case, but it is now.

What better way to lose American jobs than by clamping down on Boeing? I don't mean this to sound anti-union, but this is a witch hunt against Boeing.

Just as Raoul states above..Boeing could easily start a plant in Mexico or wherever. But the larger elephant in the room is this...do you seriously think other large American companies are looking at this and saying WTF?

This goes waaaay beyond Boeing. Be prepared for large American companies to just go overseas. I mean why deal with this?

Question....At what point is this NOT the union trying to tell Boeing how to operate their business? Shouldn't Boeing be able to run there business as they see fit? Optimally working together with the union.

RF

Any one remember Lee Iacoca at Chrysler in 1979, He said "If I can not make money building cars in this country, I will build them someplace else, and just sell them here"

Any one remember Lee Iacoca at Chrysler in 1979, He said "If I can not make money building cars in this country, I will build them someplace else, and just sell them here"
Another idiotic statement. Can't sell them here if no one is employed. Short-term thinking, free-market circle jerkers at their finest.

PCL,

This whole thing is a political stunt by the Obama administration. The NLRB righ now is completely slanted toward the unions. This hasn't always been the case, but it is now.

What better way to lose American jobs than by clamping down on Boeing? I don't mean this to sound anti-union, but this is a witch hunt against Boeing.

Just as Raoul states above..Boeing could easily start a plant in Mexico or wherever. But the larger elephant in the room is this...do you seriously think other large American companies are looking at this and saying WTF?

This goes waaaay beyond Boeing. Be prepared for large American companies to just go overseas. I mean why deal with this?

Question....At what point is this NOT the union trying to tell Boeing how to operate their business? Shouldn't Boeing be able to run there business as they see fit? Optimally working together with the union.

RF

That's just your opinion boss but an over aggressive CEO put his company in that situation after implicating (key word) himself making remarks about an issue which amounted to breaking the law. They jail Mexicans then deport them for breaking the law of the land and you think that's good don't you? Immigration law, labor law? Makes no difference. It's a law!!!

Oh!! By the way big companies have been parting company with this country long before the Boeing and Obama. It's called rebalancing your wages downward to match the global marketplace. If they can pay a Chinaman $2.00 per hour to do the same job you're doing for $20.00, you better be prepared to accept $2.00 to keep it here in the USA. GLOBALIZATION!!!

Another idiotic statement. Can't sell them here if no one is employed. Short-term thinking, free-market circle jerkers at their finest.
how about all the imports that the union pilots buy because they like them

UALRatt,

Thanks for the counterpoint, and to be honest with you I was hoping for some other viewpoints. I agree that the CEO sure did dig the hole with some of his comments, but it's hard to find any other example of the US Government telling a company how they can run their business, and that is what is going down. Be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Cheers,

RF

Can't sell them here if no one is employed. Short-term thinking, free-market circle jerkers at their finest.
The lost employment is a delayed affect. By the time it kicks in, Lee is long gone with his millions. Seems like it's all short term now.

Say, didn't I see you with anti-free market anarchists on Wall St. today? Camping out in tents and doing Yoga in the park....Priceless

. . . but it's hard to find any other example of the US Government telling a company how they can run their business . . .
I would offer another view. The government has done nothing but tell companies how to run their businesses. When they approved NAFTA they were telling companies to move their labor south. When they don't tariff Chinese products while China won't import ours they were telling companies to move their labor to the far east. When they permit a P.O. Box HQ somewhere in Wyoming they're telling them not to pay taxes. When the allowed them to break communications unions they were telling them to use Bombay customer service reps to answer our phone calls.

Last edited:
UALRatt,

Thanks for the counterpoint, and to be honest with you I was hoping for some other viewpoints. I agree that the CEO sure did dig the hole with some of his comments, but it's hard to find any other example of the US Government telling a company how they can run their business, and that is what is going down. Be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Cheers,

RF

As a matter of fact Red it is quite easy to find examples of the US government telling companies how to run their business. Doesn't it tell companies who it can hire as in the case of employing illegals? Shouldn't it then not have influence on how workers are treated especially understanding the nature of corporations? At least the founding father of the Republican party believed that. Think of another example that might be close to home. Would it be best to have the government COMPLETELY deregulate the airline industry? How safe would it be then? You're bright enough to know.

The problem is your point is laced with political undertones and that $hit is eating away at our country's fundermental existance. If you begin to think for yourself I am sure you will reregister as an independent...

Latest resources

Back