Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FL420

Blues vs. Birds-Tailhook
http://www.jobsearch.org/seeker/jobsearch/quick?action=JobSearchViewJob&JobSearch_JobId=29464347&JobSearchType=JobSearch

The Pacific Southwest Region Fire, Fuels and Aviation Management is recruiting for three permanent, fulltime GS-2181-12 Airplane/Helicopter Pilot positions. Two of the positions will be located in Lancaster, CA, and the third position will be located in Redding, CA. These are exciting opportunities and will provide a challenging and rewarding experience on one of the largest fire management training programs in the nation. The purpose of this notice is to determine if there are interested and qualified individuals.

Position Information: This position is in Fire and Aviation Management (FAM) with the primary responsibility of flying as Pilot-in-Command of US Forest Service tactical aircraft. Although based at multiple locations in California, tactical aircraft are a national resource and are often dispatched to incidents outside of Region 5 (California). Currently, Region 5 uses the Twin Commander 690A and Bell 209 ?Cobra? in the Leadplane and Aerial Supervision Module (ASM) role and the C23A Sherpa as a smokejumper platform. The selected applicant may be cross trained in DHC6 Twin Otter, Turbine DC-3, Beechcraft King Air and other aircraft operated by the USFS as the need arises. Potential applicants should be aware that this position may require extensive travel annually due to multiple fire assignments, each lasting up to 21 days. Initial hires can expect extensive travel during the first two to three years to meet training requirements.

A Commercial Pilot Certificate with airplane single-engine land, airplane multi-engine land, and rotorcraft-helicopter, instrument-airplane, and instrument-helicopter ratings is required for this position. Total flight experience will be in accordance with the Office of Personnel Management Qualification Standard for GS-2181-12 for dual qualified pilots and Forest Service Handbook 5709.16 Chapter 10, paragraphs 12.1d and 12.12a.

Additional Experience Desired: Previous training and experience in state or federal interagency wildland firefighting operations - CFI, CFII ratings or military equivalent in airplanes and helicopters - Experience with Forward Looking Infra-Red (FLIR) sensors, Night Vision Goggles (NVG), and helicopter external load operations.

If you are interested in one of these opportunities, please contact [email protected] to request the outreach reply form for these positions.

Don't get your hopes up. Two guys were all set to go to Lancaster when the positions were pulled. There are no airplanes. Let me explain. One Turbine Commander in Redding that is only to be used on Fire or limited training. One Sherpa (Shorts C-23A) used for smokejumpers. Get in line behind five other qualified pilots in Redding. Twin Otter? DC-3? Pipe dreams. The DC3 was a contract aircraft and the chance to buy a Turbine DC3 has been put on the back burner so much no one can find it. The Twotter is usually on loan for about one to two months from Utah and only 2 guys are qualified to fly it.
In otherwords 5 pilots in Redding for 2 aircraft one of which is flown on a Call-When-Needed basis.

King Airs? New platforms? Don't hold your breath. The USFS is going through some major reshuffling of priorities and pilots are on the chopping block. Many want to see the positions outsourced. Not a good idea if you don't have the experience doing the mission.

The agency in Region 5 is notorious for not filling positions. This outreach may be just another in a long line of realizations that maybe they might need pilots if this plan holds together.

The agency also uses a single-engine Cobra so if you're dual rated it might be a good gig. The agency would like to see nothing but Cobra's out there, especially Region 5.

In Lancaster, one Commander. You get to share it with the Sup Pilot there.

The Regional Aviation manager in Sacto speaks with forked tongue. Says one thing, does another. Not particularily thrilled with fixed wing guys but if you're a rotor head...he'll love you. The Director of Fire and Aviation Management hates pilots. Period. He'd like to see them all go away.

Oh...and if you don't have a lifetime of Fire background (ie: ground pounder, tanker driver, former jumper), you will be considered a second class citizen who's skills and abilities will always be in doubt.

Some of you who know me will say this is sour grapes. Think what you want but this is the scoop. That said, the actual missions were a kick to fly. Wouldn't trade that time for anything.

Anymore info on flying/working for the USFS, you can PM me.

Eric

I don't know where or when "Americas job bank" came up with this job announcement, but a quick search of the OPM website shows no region 5 aviation openings. If it's not on the OPM website...it doesn't exist.

And Eric.....you are the queen of sour grapes. 100% accurate in your post, but a sour pu$$ none the less. Just get back into fire and quit *itching.:laugh:

If it's not on the OPM site it may very be advetised thru the Avue(sp) Digital Services web sight only. I have seen a couple of jobs only on there.

moving2vegas said:
I don't know where or when "Americas job bank" came up with this job announcement, but a quick search of the OPM website shows no region 5 aviation openings. If it's not on the OPM website...it doesn't exist.

And Eric.....you are the queen of sour grapes. 100% accurate in your post, but a sour pu$$ none the less. Just get back into fire and quit *itching.:laugh:

[sarcasm]Thanks Vegas!!![/sarcasm]

Like I said...the job was a kick...some of the most fun I've had in an airplane! If I hadn't screwed the pooch and got into a p!ssin' match with higher ups about it, I was gonna leave anyways. 2 weeks...2 WEEKS!! in BOI listening to grown-ups, managment-types, offer no solution-solutions and inter-agency whining and crying had set my wheels in motion for getting out. End of the 05' fire season was gonna be it for me...it was...but just not how I envisioned it!

Good luck to anyone who wants this position...like I said...don't get your hopes up...they'll be dashed on the rocks of beauraucratic idiocy! ;)

Eric

You'd have a former lead plane pilot?? You do know that is was a "distraction hazard" as well as having a "can-do attitude". Would you really want someone like that! ;)

Eric

Shortbus...Pay is GREAT!!

Go here. http://www.opm.gov/oca/06tables/html/RUS.asp

You'll start as a GS-11 Step 1. When you're Typed and Finish training you'll get bumped to a GS-12 Step 1. You get a Step increase every year for the first three years, then it slows to 2 Step increases every two years for two years, then one step increase every three years.

You get 4 hours of Sick Leave and Annual Leave per pay period (every 2 weeks) for the first three years. It goes to 6 hours of Annual Leave (sick stays at 4) for the next three years. Then up to 8 hours of Annual Leave after that. When I left I was a GS-12 Step 4, I had roughly one month of Annual Leave accrued and nearly 2 months of Sick Leave accrued. You get your AL when you leave but you either use or lose your sick leave.

You are NOT Civil Service retirement. You ARE FERS...Federal Employee Retirement System. You get to invest in the TSP...the Thrift Savings Plan. (www.tsp.gov) You have a 20 year Law Enforcement/Fire Fighter Retirement instead of 30 years. Good health and dental bennies.

QOL...hope you like to travel. I was on the road 150+ days a year. You'll probalby fly anywhere from 100-300 hours a year, most of that between April and October. I once went 4 weeks without touching the yoke! You'll spend at least one week in Boise attending some such cock-eyed meetings where nothing is solved ;) ! At least one week in NY doing Sherpa Re-current (since you are already typed) and probably a week at Simuflite for AC690 school. Unless they go to KA's then you'll go to SimCom for KA school.

Then there are the fire fighting courses. Those will take a several months to get all of them in. The joint USFS/CDF Air Attack Management School is the best. You get to fly a helicopter, fly in an OV-10, manage a fake fire...lot's of fun!

Average fire dispatches are usually range from a few hours to a few days up to 12 - 21 days on the road. They can keep you out for 21 days before brining you home. Most Regions operate on a 12 and 2 schedule...12 days on, 2 days off. Some go to a 6 and 1, 6 days on, one day off, 6 days back on. I hated 6 and 1's. 12 and 2's weren't bad because you usually travelled on the first day, worked then next 10 and travelled home on the last day.

All of that is Leadplane/ASM work. You are a National Resource so you'll go to Florida/East Coast early in the year then to Arizona/New Mexico in May/June/July. The rest of the summer is spent hopscotching around the west, CO, WY, OR, WA, CA, UT, ID...wherever trees are burning.

Smokejumper stuff stays pretty much around Redding. There are opportunities to go to Alaska and the Redding crews often got called to Grand Junction, CO. You'll fly the Sherpa in places you didn't think to put a Sherpa at altitudes you probably have only seen during take-off and landing! :)

Like I said in my previous post, the pilots within the USFS are under scrutiny right now. There is a big push on to outsource those jobs to save money. HA! Everyone knows leasing/renting costs more than owning in the long run. Buuuut...some beancounter somewhere figures they can slash their budget if they get rid of those pesky, highly autonomous, can-do type pilots who do more than just fly planes.

Some days...I was the highest paid broom-pusher in the country!

Like I said, some of the most fun flying I've ever done. Too bad the gov't can be a major pain in the arse to work for. I'd go back but I'd have to sue the gov't and/or wait for some people to die or retire! ;)

Eric

Latest resources

Back