• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US DOJ Suing to Block Meger of AMR and US Airways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Does AA even want this deal . Is this another UAL. USAir, where UAL decided they did not want that hot mess?

Pretty sure everyone is on board, maybe Horton has his fantasies about being in charge again but the people in charge want it. They are so far into this and being in chpt. 11 that if they walked away they would have to start all over again. The thing that could happen is in dec I think the exclusivity goes away and any wall street hedge fund can have their shot at it. Wouldn't surprise me to Ichan get involved.

Justice fights AA-US Air request for speedy merger trial
http://www.usatoday.com/story/today...ican-us-airways-merger-justice-trial/2710335/

The doj wants to push this to march of next year.

From that article:
the department argued that the airline schedule is too fast to conduct the research necessary for such a complicated case over the proposed $14 billion merger.

If I was in charge of the DOJ or the department in the DOJ that filed the suit, I would think I would/should have all my ducks in a row BEFORE filing the suit. To me, the above says that DOJ has NO CASE and needs time to fill up buckets of ******************** to fling at the walls in court and see what sticks.

From that article:
the department argued that the airline schedule is too fast to conduct the research necessary for such a complicated case over the proposed $14 billion merger.

If I was in charge of the DOJ or the department in the DOJ that filed the suit, I would think I would/should have all my ducks in a row BEFORE filing the suit. To me, the above says that DOJ has NO CASE and needs time to fill up buckets of ******************** to fling at the walls in court and see what sticks.

Exactly.

Friday the judge will most likely determine the date for trial. If it's closer to what the airlines want that is good but if it is march that's probably going kill the merger I think.

From that article:

Are you kidding? Have you seen any of these chumps interviewed ? I've seen a couple of the attorney generals on tv . It's like they're not even sure what they're suing about. It's a bunch of people looking for some face time in the press and what better way to do that than to take on the evil airlines that are trying to raise fares on the poor family going to Disney World. They have a paper thin case that should be laughed at by a judge. I'm pretty sure their whole strategy is the delay tactic. If the judge schedules a November trial they're gonna start scrambling to come up with some deal to save face.

Something of interest, which hasn't been discussed much, is that the Government Accountability Office (which is non-partisan, mind you) has already run a study on this, and conducted the study after documents were reviewed, going back to February. This study was used when the merger was put before Congress. It breezed through Capital Hill, through the EU, and now, it's hitting a road block with the DoJ????? I think they're hoping to stall it, and kill it with a delayed trial. The DoJ didn't even consider Southwest as a competitor in this suit, and they carry more passengers, domestically, than any other airline!

You know you're wrong but sucessfully exploit the glacial pace of legal proceedings to cause enough delay to effectively win.

Nice.

Are you kidding? Have you seen any of these chumps interviewed ? I've seen a couple of the attorney generals on tv . It's like they're not even sure what they're suing about. It's a bunch of people looking for some face time in the press and what better way to do that than to take on the evil airlines that are trying to raise fares on the poor family going to Disney World. They have a paper thin case that should be laughed at by a judge. I'm pretty sure their whole strategy is the delay tactic. If the judge schedules a November trial they're gonna start scrambling to come up with some deal to save face.

That was my point. They have no case and they know it.

Latest resources

Back