US DOJ Suing to Block Meger of AMR and US Airways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
^ yeah but c'mon. That's some serious tinfoil hat wearing BS right there, lol

Point is, just because they don't pay for tickets themselves doesn't mean they're not surrounded by people who do. This isn't conspiracy theory, it's just a general observation that politicians' main job is to win reelection, and blocking an airline merger that affects access to their hometown (DCA) *and* would be seen as a juicy "man of the people" angle to play is too good to pass up. The small fact that it shouldn't even be a Federal issue at all doesn't even enter their pointy little heads.

Edit: Federal involvement is universally assumed to be legitimate but should be restricted to truly egregious inter-state issues, not every corporate transaction they can politicize to wet their beaks. Never mind, I"m off topic.

Last edited:
Basically same scenario as when US tried merging with UA in 2000. The DOJ didn't "officially" kill that merger - economic factors caused United to basically give it up - but there was certainly an overwhelming amount of opposition to that deal too.

If you're an American pilot breathe a sigh of relief. You might have just dodged a bullet & can emerge as a stand-alone without the Airways millstone around your necks.

Point is, just because they don't pay for tickets themselves doesn't mean they're not surrounded by people who do. This isn't conspiracy theory, it's just a general observation that politicians' main job is to win reelection, and blocking an airline merger that affects access to their hometown (DCA) *and* would be seen as a juicy "man of the people" angle to play is too good to pass up. The small fact that it shouldn't even be a Federal issue at all doesn't even enter their pointy little heads.

Edit: Federal involvement is universally assumed to be legitimate but should be restricted to truly egregious inter-state issues, not every corporate transaction they can politicize to wet their beaks. Never mind, I"m off topic.

Yeah but the state of Texas & Arizona are against it as well..........not just those surrounded by the DC area

I hope American can stand alone. Would be fine with me if DOJ wanted to undo the United Continental merger. UAL can keep their bases, their old 757s and 70 seaters.

About how consolidation can be used to add fees and increase fares.

I don't understand why the government would have a problem with this. it's a free market and there is nothing stopping people from taking a bus. Jesus, have them come fly on Spirit, we'll be glad to take some of the big 3's passengers.

Latest resources

Back