• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways to cut 600 Ground Ops Jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I dont understand. Why does it matter who actually does the ground service? Whats wrong with experienced ground crew working regional flights?

$$$$, that's what. It doesn't fit the Mesa Grande business model. Johnny O wouldn't go that way, so Dougwiser figures he better follow suit.

My home town airport that I commute out of has one mainline flight per day operated by an E190, the rest are RJ's, the vast majority of them Air Wisconsin 50 seaters. This station is still staffed by mainline agents, many with over 25 years seniority earning top of scale pay.

PVD is the exact same way. Used to be 75's all day up to a couple years ago. Even saw a 76 in there once (MX).

$$$$, that's what. It doesn't fit the Mesa Grande business model. Johnny O wouldn't go that way, so Dougwiser figures he better follow suit.

Well I know the answer, I was asking PHX why it matters that that mainline personnel are working a station that is majority express.

Well I know the answer, I was asking PHX why it matters that that mainline personnel are working a station that is majority express.

Basically,cost savings..and remember I don't want to see anyone else lose their jobs regardless of the airline they work for or the postion they fill...however;

If the main premis of replacing mainline service with RJ's is to reduce labor costs; if the mainline flights being replaced have no chance of ever being reinstated, then I think it's time to see who is staffing the station and make the appropriate cuts as needed, up to and including who is staffing that station; mainline or express.. If the station is restaffed with regional airline employees, then I'm sure the mainline employees affected would have the opportunity to exercise their seniority rights and be able to transfer to another city,if they are interested in remaining with the company. That's all I'm saying. Nothing more,nothing less.

PHXFLYR:cool:

Last edited:
Basically,cost savings..and remember I don't want to see anyone else lose their jobs regardless of the airline they work for or the postion they fill...however;

Well then mainline/express doesn't matter. It all comes down to pay, and it just so happens the mainline people have been there for a long time. There are Piedmont stations where the employees have a lot of seniority.

What it boils down to is replacing senior employees with lots of experience with junior employees with 0 experience, which is not good for safety and running the operation smoothly.

Latest resources

Back