• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Voice Of Reason

Reading Is Fundamental !
"Tuesday, July 14, 2009

US Airways to Cut 600 Airport Jobs

Reuters

CHICAGO--US Airways Group Tuesday said it would reduce airport staffing by 600 jobs this fall because of weak demand for business travel and declining revenue.
In a note to employees, the company's Chief Operating Officer Robert Isom said the cuts would occur in various of its airport-based operations. Isom said previous efforts to reduce US Airway's work force were possible through attrition.
"In today's economy, however, this is no longer the case with attrition hovering in the low single digits," Isom said. "So, we find ourselves with more employees than our operation requires."
The US airline industry has been severely battered by the economic recession that has eroded travel budgets. Carriers undertook sweeping downsizing last year and some airlines continue to shrink in 2009.
Shares of US Airways were down 1.42 percent at $2.08 on the New York Stock Exchange. " --FoxBusiness.com

Sucks to hear. best to those affected.

I guess putting "Ground Ops" in the title wasn't scandalous enough so a new thread had to be started to create undue alarm among the pilots?

Piedmont will probably be replacing the USAirways ground crew with their new, lower pay scale for rampies to "remain competitive".

In a note to employees, the company's Chief Operating Officer Robert Isom said the cuts would occur in various of its airport-based operations. Isom said previous efforts to reduce US Airway's work force were possible through attrition.
"In today's economy, however, this is no longer the case with attrition hovering in the low single digits," Isom said. "So, we find ourselves with more employees than our operation requires."

What a horrible quote from another inept manager.

How hard would it have been to say 'We have adjusted our ground operations staffing model and have found that attrition alone will not make the needed impact on our operation, therefore we will be cutting 600 positions. Blah blah etc.'

Oh, and a good luck to those affected.

Before I begin to post, let me go on record as saying I do not want to see anyone at any airline lose their job regardless of the airline they work for or the position they hold...and that includes the "easties" at my airline....however

My home town airport that I commute out of has one mainline flight per day operated by an E190, the rest are RJ's, the vast majority of them Air Wisconsin 50 seaters. This station is still staffed by mainline agents, many with over 25 years seniority earning top of scale pay. I find it very interesting that all the cuts have once again came from the west side of the operation where the average agent tenure is much lower (read less expensive) and the stations that are to be farmed out have more mainline service than my hometown airport does. It's almost looks like Isom and his management goons are afraid to confront the easties head-on in their attempts to cut costs . Because if they did ,my hometown airport and I'm sure many others up and down the east coast would have had their staffs replaced and farmed out, too. And with their longer tenure and higher hourly rate of pay ,that is where the real savings could have occured. Bottom line , Isom and the alleged "mangers" in the Sandcastle don't have the "balz" to do what really has to be done; ie. a massive re-structuring of alot of the east coast stations in some of the secondary-markets we serve that have had most,if not all of their mainline service replaced with RJs over the last several years and are still staffed with high-seniority mainline employees working those flights today.

PHXFLYR:cool:

Last edited:
What a horrible quote from another inept manager.

How hard would it have been to say 'We have adjusted our ground operations staffing model and have found that attrition alone will not make the needed impact on our operation, therefore we will be cutting 600 positions. Blah blah etc.'

Oh, and a good luck to those affected.

Agree (but typical of them)

Before I begin to post, let me go on record as saying I do not want to see anyone at any airline lose their job regardless of the airline they work for or the position they hold...and that includes the "easties" at my airline....however

My home town airport that I commute out of has one mainline flight per day operated by an E190, the rest are RJ's, the vast majority of them Air Wisconsin 50 seaters. This station is still staffed by mainline agents, many with over 25 years seniority earning top of scale pay. I find it very interesting that all the cuts have once again came from the west side of the operation where the average agent tenure is much lower (read less expensive) and the stations that are to be farmed out have more mainline service than my hometown airport does. It's almost looks like Isom and his management goons are afraid to confront the easties head-on in their attempts to cut costs . Because if they did ,my hometown airport and I'm sure many others up and down the east coast would have had their staffs replaced and farmed out, too. And with their longer tenure and higher hourly rate of pay ,that is where the real savings could have occured. Bottom line , Isom and the alleged "mangers" in the Sandcastle don't have the "balz" to do what really has to be done; ie. a massive re-structuring of alot of the east coast stations in some of the secondary-markets we serve that have had most,if not all of their mainline service replaced with RJs over the last several years and are still staffed with high-seniority mainline employees working those flights today.

PHXFLYR:cool:

So, you feel it is okay to furlough longterm employees and keep all the newbies?
Thats exactly why the pilot groups are at such odds. Westies do not think years of service matter and feel it is fine that newhires leap ahead of 20 years of service. The West would have almost no pilot furloughs if the Nic would have been implemented. Same rationale of thinking going on here.

M

Noooo.... only you could come up with something like that,Marty. What I'm saying is that all stations system wide should be evaluated. There is no reason in the world to have something like 15 flights per day at a station ;of which only 1 is mainline ,and have that station staffed by extremly senior mainline personnel,especailly if the mainline service that was drawn down has no chance of being re-instated. Those stations and Im sure there are many of them up and down the east coast should be subject to the same cuts as elsewhere . I don't want to see anyone lose their job Marty. But for any real savings to be realized the cuts have to be made system wide,especially in high cost areas like the east coast. That is where the true savings will come into play. I mean ,even you can see the logic in that,can't you ? Like I said afew sentences back and I guess can't emphasize enough I don't want to see anyone else lose ther jobs,even you,Doosh. But I'm sure for those agents who would like to remain with the company they would be able to exercise their seniority and transfer to a city that has more mainline service or possibly one of the hubs.

PHXFLYR

Last edited:
There is no reason in the world to have something like 15 flights per day at a station ;of which only 1 is mainline ,and have that station staffed by extremly senior mainline personnel,especailly if the mainline service that was drawn down has no chance of being re-instated.

I dont understand. Why does it matter who actually does the ground service? Whats wrong with experienced ground crew working regional flights?

Latest resources

Back