• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways Plane lands at wrong airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
heard a while ago that an airliner landed at OMN (ormond Beach FL) instead of DAB ( Daytona Beach FL) must of been before 1989 anyone know of this one???
I was on the ramp in DED (Deland FL) one morning and heard jet engines overhead so looked up to see an ASA RJ pulling up and away. He was either showing off to his Riddle buddies at Decatur
or he at the last second decided he had the wrong airport, DED is nearly on the extended localizer to DAB think it about 20 miles distant though.

It's awfully easy to throw stones and suggest that these pilots are knuckleheads and that there is NO WAY that any of us would end up doing something really goofy. It can happen to anybody if the circumstances are just right. Look at the Continental incident posted above. All they had to do was verify the morse code for the freq and the incident probably wouldn't have happened. I almost always check the morse code but how many of us can say that we do it absolutely 100% of the time. I try to remind myself on a regular basis that better pilots than me have landed gear up. We've all done dumb things in airplanes but most of us were fortunate enough to have done them when no one was looking.

Latest resources

Back