US Airways Plane lands at wrong airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's another article on it

I had an instructor once who worked for a regional also and he did a similar thing. Landed at the army base outside of town - several miles from the airport. One was a hard surfaced runway, the other a gravel strip... haha!

Suffice to say he didn't teach me that skill so I'll just have to figure it out on my own.

no FAA report???

The article states "the FAA would NOT receive a report of the incident"

Thats fine with me, but I dont think its the case????

A few years ago a SWA plane landed at the wrong airport in Corpus Christi. I think it was a closed military base.
usc

A few years ago a SWA plane landed at the wrong airport in Corpus Christi. I think it was a closed military base.

Wrong! NOT a SWA plane. Get your facts straight before posting.

HNTSB Identification: FTW97IA187 . The docket is stored in the (offline) NTSB Imaging System.
Scheduled 14 CFR Part 121: Air Carrier operation of CONTINENTAL AIRLINES, INC.
Incident occurred Sunday, May 11, 1997 in CORPUS CHRISTI, TX
Probable Cause Approval Date: 5/4/98
Aircraft: Boeing 737-524, registration: N16618
Injuries: 59 Uninjured.
The flight was issued vectors to intercept the final approach course of Runway 31 at Corpus Christi International Airport, and was cleared for the localizer 31 approach. The first officer was manipulating the controls, the In-Range and Approach checklists were completed, and the approach was briefed. A previous aircraft had requested the ILS RWY 13 approach and the tower controller had switched the ILS localizer from 31 to 13. After the completion of the approach, the tower controller did not reselect the localizer 31 approach. The flightcrew tuned in the localizer for Runway 31; however, they did not identify it by morse code. The captain reported that the localizer for Runway 31 was intercepted, 'although at the very beginning the course deviation bar did a couple of full scale deflections, but locked on 7 miles southeast' of the final approach fix. The aircraft was in and out of a broken cloud layer at 2,000 feet msl and the visibility was about 5 to 6 miles. After verifying all instruments were properly configured for the approach, the captain looked outside and 'saw a runway at the northern edge of the cloud they were in and out of.' The runway also had the number 31 painted on its approach end. The captain reported the field in sight to approach control and he was instructed to contact tower control. Tower cleared the flight to land. The flight landed at Cabaniss Field which is a Navy auxiliary field located 5 nautical miles southeast of Corpus Christi International Airport. Cabaniss is located on the final approach course for Runway 31 to Corpus Christi. The first officer had just completed ground and simulator differences training for the Boeing 737-300/500 series aircraft, and this was the first flight of his initial operating experience (IOE) for differences training in the aircraft. The first officer had never been to Corpus Christi, and it had been three years since the captain had been there.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this incident as follows:

The flightcrew's inadequate in-flight planning and decision, and their failure to refer to the navaids needed for the instrument approach procedure. A factor was the lack of a minimum safe altitude warning from approach control

This all reminds me of a picture down at the OSU airport. I don't know the whole story but, years ago there was a 707 heading into CMH, got disoriented and landed on 9R (a 5000 foot runway) at OSU. I guess they had some test pilot's fly it out of there (not sure if that's true). I don't know much about the 707, but that seems like a short runway for something so big.

When I worked line service at RNT, a long time ago, an F-4 Phamtom landed on RWY33. Landing North you have to clear the blast fence (displaced threshold) and he popped the drag chute and made a max performance stop just short of the end of the runway and Lake Washington. Just stopped on runway and didn't open the canopy for the longest time. He was cleared to land at, and thought he was at, Boeing Field.
:p

TR4A said:
Wrong! NOT a SWA plane. Get your facts straight before posting.

HNTSB Identification: FTW97IA187 . The docket is stored in the (offline) NTSB Imaging System.
Scheduled 14 CFR Part 121: Air Carrier operation of CONTINENTAL AIRLINES, INC.
Incident occurred Sunday, May 11, 1997 in CORPUS CHRISTI, TX
Probable Cause Approval Date: 5/4/98
Aircraft: Boeing 737-524, registration: N16618
Injuries: 59 Uninjured.
The flight was issued vectors to intercept the final approach course of Runway 31 at Corpus Christi International Airport, and was cleared for the localizer 31 approach. The first officer was manipulating the controls, the In-Range and Approach checklists were completed, and the approach was briefed. A previous aircraft had requested the ILS RWY 13 approach and the tower controller had switched the ILS localizer from 31 to 13. After the completion of the approach, the tower controller did not reselect the localizer 31 approach. The flightcrew tuned in the localizer for Runway 31; however, they did not identify it by morse code. The captain reported that the localizer for Runway 31 was intercepted, 'although at the very beginning the course deviation bar did a couple of full scale deflections, but locked on 7 miles southeast' of the final approach fix. The aircraft was in and out of a broken cloud layer at 2,000 feet msl and the visibility was about 5 to 6 miles. After verifying all instruments were properly configured for the approach, the captain looked outside and 'saw a runway at the northern edge of the cloud they were in and out of.' The runway also had the number 31 painted on its approach end. The captain reported the field in sight to approach control and he was instructed to contact tower control. Tower cleared the flight to land. The flight landed at Cabaniss Field which is a Navy auxiliary field located 5 nautical miles southeast of Corpus Christi International Airport. Cabaniss is located on the final approach course for Runway 31 to Corpus Christi. The first officer had just completed ground and simulator differences training for the Boeing 737-300/500 series aircraft, and this was the first flight of his initial operating experience (IOE) for differences training in the aircraft. The first officer had never been to Corpus Christi, and it had been three years since the captain had been there.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this incident as follows:

The flightcrew's inadequate in-flight planning and decision, and their failure to refer to the navaids needed for the instrument approach procedure. A factor was the lack of a minimum safe altitude warning from approach control
For all those at SWA whose pantys are in a wad I am sorry. I remembered the report from the news back before I started flying. Thankyou for clarifying
usc

SWA did land at the worng airport once, i was just talking about it the other day with a SWA Capt.

Also, Continental, had a rash of wrong airport landings a while back, it wasn't just one.

It happens, it's not supposed to, but it does. Sometimes just not the pilots day.

Latest resources

Back