• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways Pilot Pool and Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
thats not due to any recession. there are plenty of more experienced applicants but Human resources dictate some ridiculous crap about their hiring needs. Seriously man, I am happy for you getting hired there but they were publishing 1000 PIC and yet were hiring under that requirement. I think that is the trend-some dumb ass HR college study somewhere said younger inexperienced pilots were more trainable and that is going to leave a lot of 40+ high time regional pilots left out of the hiring. That and they want to be able to pick their minority/female quotas and the ones with lots of internal recs so Captain so and so's son or daughter can be hired.
Technically, the change had already happened in December when I applied, they just hadn't updated the online pilot advertisement yet. It was updated when someone realized that fact in February I think it was.

I keep hearing the large majority of the pilots they are hiring have over 1000 PIC Turbine Part 121. I also heard is based on a point system, the more points you get the higher the chances of getting a call for an interview. Who knows is all a big mystery.

All airlines hire under minimums a certain percentage of the time.

I was hired at my previous regional carrier with 750 hours while the minimum criteria called for 1000tt. A year later I learned that interns and non-interns were hired with only 250 hours!!! I was stunned. There are many factors like CFI/II/MEI, glider ratings, quality of time, previous or current employment, philanthropy, professional association (ie. OBAP, WIA, EAA YE, Ace Camp), ethic background, internal recommendations, work history and quality of education that play into selecting pilot applicants for interview.

That is my two cents. In retrospect, I should have applied when I had only 250 hours, but I assumed that airline hiring criteria were like FARs—set in stone...they're not.

Positive people have a way of attracting success and visa versa. Stay positive!

What I meant to say was that it is common for Regionals to hire under minimums, but Majors have alternate criteria for certain pilot segments.

Continental, Delta and United certainly have alternate hiring criteria for certain backgrounds.

Which 320 base is the most senior? Junior? Say someone is commuting from Chicago, which base would said pilot want for commutability purposes?

Many thanks!

Latest resources

Back