• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways Pilot got his job back

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I find it disgusting that so many pilots wish he wouldn't have gotten his job back. So much for brotherhood. :rolleyes:

Find it disgusting then- due process is due process- maybe this guy deserved to keep his job- it's just tiring to see my dues go to defending guys that ought to have been fired long ago- it sucks to be really good at your job and see te opportunities go to pilots that suck and are a drain of resources, company and union. It is what it is? They pay for representation- doesn't mean I have to always like it.
All I'm saying is I'm glad we're protected in a safety sensitive job- but I wish it were a tad bit easier to let go of the dead weight

Find it disgusting then- due process is due process- maybe this guy deserved to keep his job- it's just tiring to see my dues go to defending guys that ought to have been fired long ago- it sucks to be really good at your job and see te opportunities go to pilots that suck and are a drain of resources, company and union. It is what it is? They pay for representation- doesn't mean I have to always like it.
All I'm saying is I'm glad we're protected in a safety sensitive job- but I wish it were a tad bit easier to let go of the dead weight

Agreed.

90% of my union's time is wasted defending the actions of 10% of the population that probably should be fired anyway.

Disapointing to read your thoughts on this waveflyer....

many times pilots are fired appropriately and the union simply ensures the process is IAW the contract... The last think you want is precedent set on company favored interpretation...

The fact is, this guy flies a jet well with a gun. I bet he will continue to do so...

In addition, we should all accept the process, especially since we don't have all the facts. Populist thought as a system to determine whether our fellow pilots should feed their familiy or not is not a path we want to take...

I think it is safe to say that an accidental discharge is reasonable in terms of statistics. I was going to happen.

Agreed.

90% of my union's time is wasted defending the actions of 10% of the population that probably should be fired anyway.

I wouldn't say 90%..... but as long as the company is spending its time going after the 10% club.... they aren't going after you..... :eek:

All he had to do was follow the procedure and this would have NEVER happened. Would you forgive a guy who took the crash ax out of the holster, swung it, and then said the fact he chopped a whole in the side of the airplane was an accident? If this guy blows off procedure with his firearm inside a flightdeck, what other procedure has he decided to ignore/re-write. He should be gone.

So you are saying you follow every procedure exactly as written. I have never met anyone that does. I agree he screwed up, and he has been punished. He lost his deputation forever, and spent 18 months fighting to get his job back. Hopefully if you are ever caught screwing up, you get someone like yourself to be your judge.

So you are saying you follow every procedure exactly as written. I have never met anyone that does. I agree he screwed up, and he has been punished. He lost his deputation forever, and spent 18 months fighting to get his job back. Hopefully if you are ever caught screwing up, you get someone like yourself to be your judge.

I don't intentionally violate safety procedures. I don't do things that I couldn't look my boss in the eye and tell him about. I may not be proud of everything I've done, but I could explain why I did it and wouldn't fear for my job.

Bs

This is BU!!$hit, Plaxico gets 2 years and this guy gets his job back. He didn't take the the responsibility of having a gun seriously.

I find it disgusting that so many pilots wish he wouldn't have gotten his job back. So much for brotherhood. :rolleyes:

Part of being a PIC is excising sound judgment. It is a trust issue with the American public, his crew, and passengers. Here he was not following SOP and shot a hole in the aircraft. What part of sound judgment was that? He made a mistake or decided he knew better than the procedures. At some point where is Professional Ethics? Should he be judged by a review of his peers not just have the union "get" his job back. I would question his mental competency to hold the position.

Latest resources

Back