• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways "I'm on board lanyards?"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So PBR, you're proposing a legal theory that this isolated district court decision affecting a union drive at a nonunion carrier not only affects a completely different situation at a union carrier where pilots are intentionally creating labor strife (I'm on board=challenge the award) AND overrides the RLA? Just making sure I got it.

Box,
U.S. District Court is hardly isolated. Read the actual brief and decision, digest it, and come back. Its on the "internet", do the research.
PBR

Hey, be quiet. It's nice to see a union do more than collect dues for a change.

yea....nothing beats giving out lanyards....

So PBR, you're proposing a legal theory that this isolated district court decision affecting a union drive at a nonunion carrier not only affects a completely different situation at a union carrier where pilots are intentionally creating labor strife (I'm on board=challenge the award) AND overrides the RLA? Just making sure I got it.

Exactly. The district court decision was limited to a non-union group working on organizing. The law contains specific protections for organizing activities, but not for groups that are already unionized. For unionized groups, it's different.

...and here is the inevitable.

On Friday July 29, 2011, 8:17 pm EDT
NEW YORK (Reuters) - US Airways Group filed a lawsuit on Friday against the labor union representing its pilots that asks a federal court to prevent the group from participating in activities the airline claims are affecting its operations.

US Airways is alleging the U.S. Airline Pilots Association is encouraging its members to "engage in an illegal slowdown in order to put pressure on US Airways" as the two camps attempt to hash out a new contract, according to the court filing.

"This is not a step we take lightly, but we simply can no longer allow the labor union's illegal and misguided actions to harm US Airways, our employees and our customers," wrote US Airways Chief Executive Doug Parker in a note to employees obtained by Reuters.

A call placed to the U.S. Airline Pilots Association was not immediately returned.

US Airways and the union have been engaged in contract negotiations for several years stemming from the 2005 merger of America West Holdings Corp and US Airways.

The suit was filed in the U.S. District Court in Charlotte, N.C.

(Reporting by Jennifer Saba; Editing by Gary Hill)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back