• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways birdstrike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Obviously from the article, birds can fly higher than you thought.. Secondly is the case of birds being sucked up in thunderstorms and actually dieing on the way up where they are spit out the top. Impossible,,,, have youo ever been in a light plane where you rode the up elevator for 4 to 5 thousand feet just trying to keep the wings level.?

Publishers said:
Obviously from the article, birds can fly higher than you thought.. Secondly is the case of birds being sucked up in thunderstorms and actually dieing on the way up where they are spit out the top. Impossible,,,, have youo ever been in a light plane where you rode the up elevator for 4 to 5 thousand feet just trying to keep the wings level.?

No. I'm smart enough to keep away from buildups that would cause me to climb 4-5 tacos, even when I was a student.

USAir doesn't fly out of ANC,America West does.

A quick search reveals reports of bird strikes at 37,000' and at 33,000'.

It was a bird strike and it did happen above 30,000 feet 500 miles away from ANC southbound to LAS.

Unless, the crew lied to me that was in SIT waiting to ferry it out.

Yep, I thought I heard him wrong about FL350, but he said that was right and that the captain had apparently informed (or debriefed) the passengers.

It was a USAir flight from Anchorage to Vegas that was operated by America West (or vice-versa).

Dad said the captain made a pretty quick descent to 12,500 and turned it around even though they were pretty far into the flight.

I had heard about bar-headed geese at those altitudes before, but it's pretty freaky when something that small hits something going that fast at that height.

So much for the Big Sky Theory.

I spoke with a mechanic on-scene that said that this time it was a short in the window heater, saw no guts or featherswhen changing the window, just a lot of melted, discolored, inner-layer plastic. This is not to say that it hasn't happened before.

Latest resources

Back