US Airways bid 08-02

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ALGFLYR

Bid 08-02 is out. The effective date is April '08.

Just looking at the numbers, I find a few things of interest....

The last bid (08-01) had 22 retirements and 21 new pilots for basically a net change of zero line pilots.

This new bid has 0 retirements, 32 rescinded retirements, 5 early retirements... but also has 123 new pilots.

So apparently, at least for now, the age 60 change is not affecting new pilots coming onto the property. Even after the rescinded retirements, there was a net increase of 109 pilots.

There were not many new positions created with the exception of a large number of 190 slots. We will continue to get more 190's so I would think the hiring will continue for these. We are also going to be getting new Airbus aircraft, the question is will these replace older 737 and airbus aircraft, or will these be growth aircraft. Management has said not much growth, so they may be replacements... We shall see... but at least it looks as though hiring will continue, at least for now...

This new bid has 0 retirements, 32 rescinded retirements, 5 early retirements... but also has 123 new pilots.

So apparently, at least for now, the age 60 change is not affecting new pilots coming onto the property.

Yeah except for the fact there are 32 less positions available that need filling because 32 pilots are no longer retiring. It is affecting your hiring, just not zeroing it out.

Max out your ALPA loss of lisence at age 60 and get a 5 year pension til 65.

One door closes another opens.

This will affect upgrades out East too, I wonder if the FO's who were thinking they might upgrade will change their thinking on getting to a contract sooner now than later.

Time will tell.

I doubt it. Did you see how USAPA is piping off about redoing the arbitration? The ALPA lawyers had to send them a letter explaining how they don't have a leg to stand on. Hello? Binding arbitration presented to the company and accepted by the company. These guys are so stupid I can't believe they can even get their pants on in the morning. All it's going to do is make a lot of lawyers rich while all of us both East and West don't get pay raises. Brilliant.

The majority of the new pilots are those that are returning from their tours at the j4j carriers, not off the street new hires.

Us Airways

My application status has been under candidate review since late November. Anyone have any idea if this is normal or not?

This will affect upgrades out East too, I wonder if the FO's who were thinking they might upgrade will change their thinking on getting to a contract sooner now than later.

Time will tell.

I haven't seen the upgrades slow that much at this time. Although there were 32 rescinded retirements, they were not all CA positions.

But looking at the upgrade numbers on the East. On the last bid (08-01), there were 20 new CA positions on the bid. Of those 20 upgrades, only 2 were on the 190.

The latest bid (08-02) there are 67 new CA positions. Now I will tell you, most of those are on the 190, but not all. 42 upgrades will be on the 190 and 25 upgrades will be on larger equip. Bid 08-01 covers until March '08. Bid 08-02 is effective April '08. So we have 67 new Captains in 1 month.... Not to mention, that these newly upgrading (or re-upgrading) FO's will vacate their positions allowing many others to move up and improve QOL....

67 upgrades out of what, about 2000 FO's? Along with the rescinded retirements, who are still FO's, means a lot of guys out East will still see no improvement in their paycheck or QOL.

...not to mention, that these newly upgrading (or re-upgrading) FO's will vacate their positions allowing many others to move up and improve QOL....
"Many others" may be an overstatement. Plus none of this improvement will be felt out West which will unfortunately only deepen the rift between the group.

67 upgrades out of what, about 2000 FO's? Along with the rescinded retirements, who are still FO's, means a lot of guys out East will still see no improvement in their paycheck or QOL.....

Grog, the are MUCH bigger reasons the East folks will continue to have a crappy quality of life.

Latest resources

Back