• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WSurf

The Smack Down!
US Airways Ranked Number One On-Time Airline for 2008
Monday February 9, 10:12 am ET Airline Leaps from Worst to First among the Big Six Hub-and-Spoke Carriers
TEMPE, Ariz.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--US Airways (NYSE:LCC - News) officially became the nation’s number one on-time airline among the “Big Six” hub-and-spoke airlines for 2008 according to results released today by the U.S. Department of Transportation’s (DOT) monthly Air Travel Consumer Report. For the year, 80.1 percent of US Airways’ flights arrived within 15 minutes of their published arrival time—the metric by which airlines’ on-time performance is measured by the DOT.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/090209/20090209005823.html?.v=1

Does that factor in the US Airways Express system? If they can get #1 with Mesa counted in, that is pretty damn impressive!

Its amazing when you change the door logic the last 3 months of the year how this works. All doors close, pop the brake and you are on time. West loses money, East gets a raise. On top of it, the airline leaves passengers behind to get their on-time. Who cares if you paid for a seat. If you landed 20 minutes from you connection flight and its the last one of the night, good luck. If you don't make it to the gate 10 minutes prior, we will shut the door and leave you stranded. So they get ontime but complaints have yet to come down and never will.

So if the flight runs late out of JFK, customer had a hour and half layover, thought that was plenty. Between long taxi out in JFK, over 100 head wind. they customer arrives in PHX or LAS for connection 20 priors to the flight departure this is his fault. He can not help it he is in the middle or heaven forbid back of the bus and can't get enough people to remain seated to run to their gate. Oh on top of it the passenger has to run 2 concourses. Does this person deserve to be left behind. NO!!!

We are in the business to move people and the airlines, especially US Airways, (most gate agents) have forgotten this. Now I know this is not the case all the time. But I have seen alot. I feel bad when I am the last flight and I see passengers standing, that just ran from a previous flight, get left behind, especially when we are already late and we have seats.

Gee, that's not how I read it. Looks like number 3 to me. Did I miss something?

US Airways trumpets 'worst-to-first' on-time turnaround among 'big six'

The full-year results are in for 2008, and Hawaiian, Southwest and US Airways are the nation's most punctual airlines, according to data from the Department of Transportation. The agency this morning released its results (page 5) for December, the latest month for which data is available. For the year, perennial leader Hawaiian Airlines topped the list, with 90% of its 2008 flights arriving within 15 minutes of their scheduled time. Among the nation's top 10 carriers, Southwest was the nation's most-punctual performer, with an 80.5% on-time rating for the year.
Of the nation's six traditional hub-and-spoke carriers, the title of most-punctual went to US Airways, which had an 80.1% on time-rating for 2008. That finish capped a dramatic turnaround for the carrier, which just a year earlier had earned a notoriously poor reputation on operational issues en route to placing last out of the "big six" carriers for on-time performance. After the release of today's data, US Airways wasted little time in trumpeting its turnaround.
US Airways sent out a press release just after 10 a.m. ET –- 8 a.m. local time at the company's Arizona headquarters -– in which the airline called attention to its improvement. The release is headlined: "Airline Leaps from Worst to First among the "Big Six" Hub-and-Spoke Carriers."
"The first place ranking amongst the Big Six for the year is a direct reflection of the hard work and determination of our 34,000 employees," US Airways CEO Doug Parker says in the statement. "While 2008 was a very challenging year for the airline industry, our employees pulled together to deliver an amazing operational turnaround." The company’s statement adds: "Year over year, US Airways jumped from sixth to first in on-time performance among the six largest hub-and-spoke carriers (American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Northwest Airlines and United Air Lines), achieving a 16.5% improvement over 2007."
The worst performance for 2008? That went to American Airlines, which placed 19th out of 19 carriers with a 69.8% on-time rating. AA subsidiary American Eagle also placed low, ranking 16th with a 72.9% rating. In between were Delta subsidiary Comair (No. 18, 69.9%) and United (No. 17, 71.6%).
For the month of December, Hawaiian placed first out of the all 19 airlines reporting data with 79.6% of its flights arriving on time. US Airways took the No. 2 rating for the month, with a 72.1% on-time rating. US Airways edged out American (69.9%), United (67.6%), Southwest (67.3%) and AirTran (66.4%).
Read below for an overall list of the carriers included in the DOT report for 2008:

1. Hawaiian Airlines (90% on-time rating for the full-year 2008)
2. Southwest (80.5%)
3. US Airways (80.1%)
4. Northwest affiliate Pinnacle (79.6%)
5. Frontier (79%)
6. United, Delta and Midwest affiliate Skywest (79%)
7. Alaska Air (78.3%)
8. Northwest (76.8%)
9. AirTran (76.7%)
10. Delta (76.4%)
11. Delta affiliate Atlantic Southeast (74.2%)
12. Continental (74%)
13 Continental, Delta affiliate ExpressJet, including some stand-alone operations (73.6%)
14. United, US Airways and Delta affiliate Mesa, including some stand-alone operations (73%)
15. JetBlue (72.9%)
16. American subsidiary American Eagle (72.9%)
17. United (71.6%)
18. Delta subsidiary Comair (69.9%)
19. American (69.8%)

Last edited:
Gee, that's not how I read it. Looks like number 3 to me. Did I miss something?

US Airways trumpets 'worst-to-first' on-time turnaround among 'big six'

Big six are (in no particular order):
1)Delta
2)US Airways
3)NorthWest
4)American
5)United
6)CAL

Latest resources

Back