US Airway news - not good

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mobs

they are bankrupt. where is the money going to come from?!?! they usairways money tree needs watering.

pensions are benefits, not compensation. this is the problem with social security also, everyone feels entitled to it (congress included which uses its money for its pork projects) and thus it is overdrawn.

you're confusing an obligation with entitlement

CitationLover said:
mobs

they are bankrupt. where is the money going to come from?!?! they usairways money tree needs watering.

pensions are benefits, not compensation. this is the problem with social security also, everyone feels entitled to it (congress included which uses its money for its pork projects) and thus it is overdrawn.

While I don't have a dog in this particular fight, and I am sure that mobs can respond, I couldn't let this one go.

There is no difference between a "benefit" or "compensation" while governed under the collective bargaining agreement.

Where the money is going to come from falls under the obligation of USAir as they are a party to the contract they signed with their pilots. This contract also defined a pension benefit payable to the pilot group. A contractual obligation is an obligation whether it be a per diem payout, pay rate, duty rigs....etc. etc.

When you start earning real money and pay thousands upon thousands of dollars into the SS system, you are entitled to it's benefits.

If you don't feel this will affect you in the future should their management get away with this theft, you have a great deal to learn about this industry.

Last edited:
They may be bankrupt but they evidently have the money to continue the pension plans of the other labor groups which they intend to fund with the windfall they will gain from terminating ALPA's pension. I got into the wrong line after high school; I guess the burn-outs who hung out at the 7-11 and got drunk every night while I was studying for my writtens and then went out and got cleaner jobs with USAir weren't so dumb after all. Who knew?

Last edited:
100LL... Again! said:
I didn't know that we were all entitled to a pension.

Is it morally wrong for the company to not to provide a pension?

Is this guy joking?

boeingman your condesending attitude is nice. i've paid into ss and understand the entitlement, however the govt treats it like income tax money so no we are not entitled to it.

i worked in the pension industry for seven years so I do know what i'm talking about. stick to flying airplanes.

the contractual obligation is noted, however bankruptcy is also written in and this contingency is a "way out". the plan is funded to a point, it is the worst of both situations (decreasing market and low interest rates) and thus is in its situation.

Hey I just bought 100,000 shares of airline D, double D to be exact. Hooter Air.

Talk about a pention plan, theres will knock your socks off and then some.

is it safe to assume you'd like to be a "supporter" of hooters air?

I was quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by 100LL... Again!
I didn't know that we were all entitled to a pension.

Is it morally wrong for the company to not to provide a pension?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Response was:

-----------------------------------------------------

Is this guy joking?
-----------------------------------------------------

To clarify: My post was in response to this:

Originally posted by hateairlines
I find it ironic that a SWA/FO posts this-SWA being the one major airline in the world that is to cheap to even have a pension plan????????

And what a lot of people don't understand, is that it only takes one airline to be cheap and the rest will have a hell of a time competing...

If a pension has been negotiated, then it SHOULD be paid to the employees. I am refereing to the implication that it is was wrong for a company not to offer one to begin with. I.E.: SWA.

Pensions, like it or not, are unlikely to be a feature of any new company or industry. It is not right or wring - just a reality.

Ain't free markets awful?

Working at SWA I would love to have an pension, I would also like to stay home and collect a paycheck, two things that will never happen at SWA.

You cant blame any one thing on the demise of the majors. Our no pension, low fare, low pay didnt seem to put a dent in them for many years. UAL capts making 340K or so in their last negotiating session. I do think that over time with dwindling profits that every penny was important.

How much does a DAL or UAL spend on crew meals a year? Trip drops with pay for vacation? Lots of employees standing around doing nothing and acting like they are postal employees. How much does it cost UAL for paying for employee parking? How about paper for the printer for the ACARS? Every last cent makes a difference.

The country is not what it was and the loss of pensions will not just effect the airline industry. I do agree that the pension should not be totally tossed and they need to stand ground on this point.

sfomarc said:
Working at SWA I would love to have an pension, I would also like to stay home and collect a paycheck, two things that will never happen at SWA.

You cant blame any one thing on the demise of the majors. Our no pension, low fare, low pay didnt seem to put a dent in them for many years. UAL capts making 340K or so in their last negotiating session. I do think that over time with dwindling profits that every penny was important.

How much does a DAL or UAL spend on crew meals a year? Trip drops with pay for vacation? Lots of employees standing around doing nothing and acting like they are postal employees. How much does it cost UAL for paying for employee parking? How about paper for the printer for the ACARS? Every last cent makes a difference.

The country is not what it was and the loss of pensions will not just effect the airline industry. I do agree that the pension should not be totally tossed and they need to stand ground on this point.

If UAL's $340,000 Captains broke the airlines, then why is it that DAL's $350,000 Captains haven't?

Its a lot more complex than pilot pay. And a Pention, while not a right, is and should be part of every major airline compensation package, and it is up to us as pilots to hold our ground, rather than resign ourselves to turning every airline into a SWA.

Latest resources

Back