• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LXApilot

Owes More Than He Makes
Not flamebait,

This question is for those of you who care to speculate as to the effect the proposed US Airways/American merger will have on Unitental. With UAL having practically abandoned some stations, like ATL, in favor of putting their passengers on US Airways through the code-share; I would imagine things would have to change in the future, considering that AMR is the competition and not an alliance partner. But of course, that is giving the management at Continental/United way too much credit.

Is there any way that the departure of US Airways from the code-share agreement could lead to United focusing on recapture of some lost domestic market-share and flying?

Thank you for your time and opinions. I appreciate your input.

Not flamebait,

This question is for those of you who care to speculate as to the effect the proposed US Airways/American merger will have on Unitental. With UAL having practically abandoned some stations, like ATL, in favor of putting their passengers on US Airways through the code-share; I would imagine things would have to change in the future, considering that AMR is the competition and not an alliance partner. But of course, that is giving the management at Continental/United way too much credit.

Is there any way that the departure of US Airways from the code-share agreement could lead to United focusing on recapture of some lost domestic market-share and flying?

LCAL will operate bigger 737s outs of terminal D and Star Alliance passengers will lose connection options... Not the end of the world for UAL I would think, but they're already losing their shirt with integration mismanagement.

My guess is that the most obvious changes would be UA increasing flights on their own metal between their hub cities and PHL, PHX, and DCA closer to historic levels. I can't imagine that they can do much with CLT since it's a small O & D market and they have no good way to access whatever revenue flow they got out of that area. Especially since companies generally don't view RJ's as the great hub poachers that they used to back in the early 2000's. Codeshares are really more about stealing the traffic of others efficiently rather than creating new traffic. So I would expect any other changes to be nuanced as the respective carriers try to retain as much as their previous revenue as possible.

Not flamebait,

Been supportive with Boeing and the 787 grounding, expect a deal for additional 50 737s to cover the Usair codeshare loss. Cheap price since they have no plans to sue Boeing. After all they are housed next to eachother in Chicago and having lunch daily together

Latest resources

Back