• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Air Pilot arrested

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
According to Airwise.com - aviation news, the pilot asked why they were worried about tweezers when he could crash the plane. Valid comment but poor timing.

I feel for this guy. I've said things to security that now would get me arrested.

In fact, on one of my last trips I started making a comment not disimilar from what he said. The difference being I caught myself in time.

R.F.

To those that implied that he had even a little justification; I disagree. Remember, it's not that hard to duplicate ID's and get a pilot uniform. Uniformed crews should undergo the same scrutiny as passengers.

waka said:
To those that implied that he had even a little justification; I disagree. Remember, it's not that hard to duplicate ID's and get a pilot uniform. Uniformed crews should undergo the same scrutiny as passengers.

how many times do we have to hear this excuse?
I CHALLENGE YOU to produce a pilot uniform and fake an ID. All airline IDs have been upgraded. You need ID now to buy any pilot uniforms, (except maybe shirts) and must shop at company stores... ones that know what real IDs look like. You simply can't do it and make it real enough to fool anyone under this increased scrutiny.
Let's remember, the terrorists of the 9/11 attacks didn't use fake uniforms or IDs. They were PASSENGERS.

As for crews getting the same scrutiny at security as everyone else, I wholeheartedly agree. Unfortunately, we are still being singled out and made examples of... getting much more than typical passengers get. Try an experiment... go through in uniform, then out of uniform (no, they won't recognize you). I'll bet you get checked a lot more carefully in uniform. I do every time.
This is frustrating and yes, even enough to drive a normally rational Us Air pilot to make a smart remark. One for which he is now being made an example of by our government.

You obviously have never flown for an airline. Everything must match - paperwork, computer, scheduling etc... Then, the imposter would have to not be recognized, although the crew has probably been flying together for weeks and eats three meals a day together. The imposter would have to be a real whiz to know all the procedures, both formal, and informal, to get an airplane out of the gate.... There is just no way that a stolen ID and uniform would equip a person to do anything but be discovered and go straight to jail. James Bond himself could not even carry off your "Mission Impossible" scenario.

Just wait until there is a set of these screeners that you have to meet on the way to your Hawker. Your opinion will change rather quickly...

Further, how does taking my toe nail clippers make me safer - when I have a crash axe, fire extenguishers, cabin de-press, flash lights, metal logbook covers, flares and God forbid my own two hands on the flight deck with me? Obviously, the airplane goes where I fly it.

I was hoping for a higher level of security, beginning with professional officers, when the Federal government took over this process. We all have read that the screeners we have now will remain, with unionized federal jobs.

Now anybody care to guess how long it will take to get through security when these high school dropouts decide they need a raise and stage a little work slowdown?

What happened September 11th is an absolute and terrible tragedy. Now we are prolonging the pain by forcing our customers and ourselves to put up with this security sham.

We should all carry a copy of the security directives in our flight bag (see ALPA rep, of Chief Pilot's Office). If you are harassed, ask for a security supervisor. At some airports the FAA is available near by - let the security supervisor talk to them rather than harass you.

When I politely ask, more than 60% of the screeners I have talked to admit to having never seen, or been formally trained, on the security directives. The "procedures" are left to their own imaginations. What ends up happening is a set of "monkey see - monkey do" searches where they simply copy eachother and assume they are doing the job. IMHO, this is not acceptable.

Last edited:
~~~^~~~ said:
Further, how does taking my toe nail clippers make me safer - when I have a crash axe, fire extenguishers, cabin de-press, flash lights, metal logbook covers, flares and God forbid my own two hands on the flight deck with me? Obviously, the airplane goes where I fly it.

Careful... Big Brother is watching. I GUARANTEE that the FBI's RAPTOR system, the contraversial Internet evesdropping program unveiled last year, is monitoring this site.
What you said could be called a "threat".
You could be labled a "Terrorist" and hauled off to a dark dungeon in Gitmo where you get "culturally sensitive meals and excercize every day".

You could be labled a "Terrorist" and hauled off to a dark dungeon in Gitmo where you get "culturally sensitive meals and excercize every day".
ALPA would come to my rescue and represent me, wouldn't they?

~~~^~~~ said:

ALPA would come to my rescue and represent me, wouldn't they?

Ha! Riiight!
You know, you guys may get me over to the "dark side" yet. I'm getting fed up with their lack of representation.

Taking my words...

Now wait a minute...

"shutup until you get through security" does not imply that I will roll over for our government. I'm just asying that security isn't worth losing your job over.

If you have a problem with security, call the GSC, if they aren't any help, get in touch with your Union or Chief pilot, then write your senators, write your congressmen, write your president. Tell them your not going to be treated like a criminal when you go to work and that you will write them everyday until your treatted with the respect you deserve.

BUT

But by all means, BE PROFESSIONAL, passengers would rather see you acting professional then getting arrested.

You can't stand up to your govenment with hand-cuffs on or from behind bars...If it bothers you that much, go drive a truck!!!!

For all of those wondering what, if anything, ALPA is doing to support Captain Menear (US Airways), just go to www.alpa.org and see if you can find anything (I couldn't).

I'm afraid there's only ONE thing ALPA understands anymore... your dues check-off.

Latest resources

Back