US Air Pilot arrested

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flydog

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (CNN) -- Police at Philadelphia International Airport arrested a US Airways pilot Sunday on two misdemeanor charges after he made an "inappropriate comment" relating to security to an airport screener, airline and law enforcement officials said.

Elwood Maneer, 46, was charged with making terrorist threats and disorderly conduct, said Philadelphia police spokesman Cpl. Jim Pauley, who would not disclose what was said.

"I don't have the exact words," Pauley said. "We're just saying he made an inappropriate comment. We're not going to get into exactly what he said."

Maneer is from Annville, Pennsylvania, about 18 miles east of Harrisburg.

The pilot was going through the screening process around 7 a.m. EST when he "made an inappropriate comment relative to security," said US Airways spokesman David Castelveter, who said the airlines was "cooperating fully" with the investigation. "We find this type of behavior intolerable," he said.

Maneer's comment did not affect airport operations, airport spokesman Mark Pesce said.

Local police have filed misdemeanor charges against Maneer, and the U.S. Attorney's office in Philadelphia was considering the case, said Linda Vizi, a spokesperson for the FBI's Philadelphia office.

Maneer had been scheduled to pilot a flight from Philadelphia to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, which was briefly delayed because US Airways officials had to find another pilot for the flight, Castelveter said.

I know of several cases where similiar things have happened to pilots, and in each case, the pilot has lost his job.

While personally I believe such actions are far out of line and inappropriate, I'm the first to remind myself that a pedestrian may have the right of way over an 18-wheeler, but is probably best not to insist. Sacking someone and creating a ruckus over a comment is at best over-reaction, especially for the personnel involved.

HOWEVER, it behooves everyone to keep such comments away from the public, screeners, and the SIDA. We can complain and bicker all we like at meeting places such as this, but for now, comments to screeners, security, and others, are best kept very professional. I would highly recommend that any commentary that is negative in nature, or derrogatory with respect to measures in place, be kept to one's self while passing through those measures.

So..once again a legitimate pilot going to work is treated as the badguy!! What..you can't speak your mind anymore? While the illegal alien, non-US citizen, can't speak english, less than GED educated airport screener is exaulted! What BS!!

I guess it all depends on the comment he made. If he joked about having a bomb tucked in his underwear, because he was pissed about the way he was handled, then he's screwed. But again, depends on what he said. Everytime something like this shows up in the press, the security/crewmember relationship gets more and more attention, which could be a good thing.

Yep,he shoulda known better,no doubt.Sure,arrest a pilot,but let the guy with explosive tennis shoes on who was denied boarding the day before that looked like a kook...Can't offend anyone,you know....At least he didn't joke around at security.

Maybe with more attention to the hassles we go through..It will get better.. I get frustrated every time I have to get the "rub" down, wand up the butt..etc..When all I want to do is go to work..
As legitimate crewmembers, we are not the badguys!!

He should shut up and watch our once-enjoyable jobs be ruined, like the rest of us.

MIA,FLL,LAX,ORD,BOS,BWI,KEF,Gitmo,NRR,SJU, I just take my shoes off, jacket, belt, and all my "stuff" and send it through the scanner. When my body goes through the detector no beeps and I am on my merry way. As I walk by the screeners mutter "Your one of the few pilot's that has figured this whole thing out." Cheers.

Good idea..In addition I remove my clip-on tie and eye glasses which seem to set off the dreaded metal detector. Tomorrow, I'm going to Wal-mart and buy some loafers to make the shoe part easier..

I have come very close, on those early am shows (pre-coffee), to just putting my entire body through the x-ray machine. I would'nt even have to take my hat off and I could keep my eye on all my stuff as it goes through!

Latest resources

Back