Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Misreading?

FurloughedAgain said:
Disagree with whatever you wish, but please do not wish 50,000 people out of a job.

I'm just a furloughed guy and I admit I dont know much...but I know that I would never, ever wish that someone lose their job -- regardless of what their MEC might have done.

No, I'm not gloating, or pleased at the situation. My family lived through many furloughs and I don't wish that fate on anyone.

But, what about the pilots who will lose their jobs as a result of ALPA scope and the jets for jobs protocol - what about their fate? Your MEC and your union is engaged in something much more harmful than gloating.

When ALPA comes for my job I will fight, I will picket, I will sue and when completely disenfranchised by ALPA I will proudly lead others to cross the picket line that gives ALPA the power to destroy careers. Then ALPA will gleefully let me back in for my dues, just like they did the Continental scabs. Tell me why, if scabbing means nothing to ALPA national, should we be concerned about the morality of the issue?

This is not to say that I would cross any line. I'd stand hard and long for my fellow Connection pilots. But you tell me, why should I honor a major's strike when one of the goals is to put me on the street? ALPA lacks the ethical legitimacy to lead me into supporting a strike based on morality alone.

Last edited:
and yet ALPA continues to steer towards the iceberg. There are so many other options out there that are inclusive and beneficial to mainline and the WO. Small jets, kinda small jets, mini-jets, a little bigger small jet............that is some real constructive leadership. I hope for all our sake they change course soon.

Re: Re: Misreading?

~~~^~~~ said:

No, I'm not gloating, or pleased at the situation. My family lived through many furloughs and I don't wish that fate on anyone.

But, what about the pilots who will lose their jobs as a result of ALPA scope and the jets for jobs protocol - what about their fate? Your MEC and your union is engaged in something much more harmful than gloating.

When ALPA comes for my job I will fight, I will picket, I will sue and when completely disenfranchised by ALPA I will proudly lead others to cross the picket line that gives ALPA the power to destroy careers. Then ALPA will gleefully let me back in for my dues, just like they did the Continental scabs. Tell me why, if scabbing means nothing to ALPA national, should we be concerned about the morality of the issue?

This is not to say that I would cross any line. I'd stand hard and long for my fellow Connection pilots. But you tell me, why should I honor a major's strike when one of the goals is to put me on the street? ALPA lacks the ethical legitimacy to lead me into supporting a strike based on morality alone.

Interesting post. I'd bet you a year ago you'd never even of considered what you just wrote.

One of the most shocking lessons I learned after striking was that many of the scabs crossed not out of opportunism but of a past serious indescretion by the union. Many of our original CAL/TXI pilots crossed because they did not believe in the direction of our MEC or ultimate goals of ALPA national. The "list" contains a large number of former ALPA members. I asked myself many times why? We are seeing just a different version of disenfranchising of union members like in the 81 - 83 time frame. Inever understood that because I was never affected like many post 83 hires.

It is very easy for those working for the stable carriers with no true economic or labor problems to point fingers and pass judgement on our pilot group. Trouble is, these same blind people will be pointing at quite a few more people on the "list" as soon as the next knock down airline strike happens.

And it will occur sooner rather than later. The current economic pressure and climate will force some management to take the Lorenzo scorched earth policy should the financials not change in this industry.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back