US Air Express pickets ALPA National

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

~~~^~~~

Reprint from flyer being forwarded by the MEC's of the US Air Wholly Owned Airlines...
Fellow ALPA pilots,

On August 8, 2002 ALPA President Captain Duane Woerth will, in all likelihood, sign the latest edition of the Jets For Jobs protocol, contained within the Mainline pilots TA, at the expense of the regional Wholly owned carrier’s pilots, employees, and their families.

By signing this TA, Captain Duane Woerth is endorsing the unprecedented replacement of one group of ALPA pilots, with another group, from a different seniority list. It is incomprehensible for him, to enter into such an agreement that so viciously impacts the careers of all ALPA regional pilots, with negative repercussions to be felt for years to come.

In Captain Duane Woerth’s recent dissertation of July 2, 2002 (ALPA release 02.60) concerning the Mesa single carrier lawsuit he slams Mesa CEO J. Ornstien for " his corporate shell game of threatening to shift jobs from one company to another… His strategy has been to divide and conquer, attempting to pit pilots of CC Air and MESA against one another…Pilots should not have to choose between keeping their jobs, working under ridiculously poor conditions, or having their jobs transferred to an upstart non union carrier". Clearly from his statement, Captain Woerth knows it is wrong to pit one pilot group against another.

We cannot sit back and allow the hypocritical actions of Captain Woerth to proceed. We must let Captain Woerth know that this is an unacceptable situation. To this end, we are organizing a trip down to DC to remind Captain Woerth, and the rest of the high-ranking ALPA officials, of their obligations to treat all ALPA pilots equally. Preferential treatment of one group over another cannot and will not be tolerated. This violates everything a union represents, and everything Captain Woerth claims to stand for.

We are now down to the wire. Are you going to take an active role in your future, or will you sit back, do nothing, and hope for the best? Please join fellow ALPA brothers and sisters from numerous carriers, as we converge on our union headquarters in Washington D.C., Tuesday, August 6, at 10:30 AM. Together, we can make a difference!!!

Picketing is OK, but it will have little effect. They need a good lawyer.

Responses from mainline

<Deleted by author in light of the Duane Woerth letter received by the Allegheny MEC July 31>

Its gonna get ugly...

Last edited:
Aside from the labor issues, one part of this that makes no sense is how US Air is going to obtain financing to purchase, or lease, these airplanes. 400 plus RJ's is $10,000,000,000.00 plus dollars. RJ's are very expensive. An MD-11 is less expensive to acquire in the current environment than a CRJ200. Even Delta has had problems getting their financing together for RJ purchases.

The RJ party was three years ago. Now is a little late to be getting a credit card, to buy a dress, for the Ball.

Speaking of Delta, it seems they are aware of what is coming and are devising another low cost plan to defend against a competitor in bankrputcy who does not have to pay their bills to continue operations.

Could ALPA's stupid and proven ineffective scope policies actually be responsible for killing an airline? Of course, US Air's management helped. Flying the Line III will be an interesting read for sure...

Misreading?

I hope that I am misreading your post...

It sounds almost as though you are gloating at the demise of US Airways since their MEC held the line on scope.

Tell me I'm wrong.

Disagree with whatever you wish, but please do not wish 50,000 people out of a job.

I'm just a furloughed guy and I admit I dont know much...but I know that I would never, ever wish that someone lose their job -- regardless of what their MEC might have done.

Re: Misreading?

FurloughedAgain said:
I hope that I am misreading your post...

It sounds almost as though you are gloating at the demise of US Airways since their MEC held the line on scope.

Tell me I'm wrong.

Disagree with whatever you wish, but please do not wish 50,000 people out of a job.

I'm just a furloughed guy and I admit I dont know much...but I know that I would never, ever wish that someone lose their job -- regardless of what their MEC might have done.

I didn't think he was gloating at all, just stating some rather obvious facts or probabilities.

In view of what the UMEC has done, I would not be able to define it as "holding the line on scope". It's more like scoping themselves out of business, then when facing the piper, giving in on scope in a way that is likely to cause other pilots to lose their jobs and increase subcontracting 5 fold at U.

I'm sure no one wishes U pilots to lose their jobs. My wish is that both ALPA and the UMEC would stop making agreements that don't "wish" other pilots should lose their jobs, but directly cause that to happen. Additionally, agreements that also coerce other pilots to relinguish their seniority and abrogate their conctracts in order that furloughed U pilots may gain preferential treatment at other airlines.

That's rotten anway you look at it. I don't blame the average U line pilot (they haven't voted yet) but I do blame ALPA and the UMEC. J4J, LOA81 and the current TA all contain provisions that are no less than despicable.

If it passes and ALPA signs officially that will remove all remaining doubt as to the decadence of the national institution's current leadership.

Boeingman said:
And some wonder why people cross an ALPA picket line.

It gives you pause, but I wouldn't cross any picket line (ALPA or otherwise). Two wrongs never make a right.

surplus1 said:

It gives you pause, but I wouldn't cross any picket line (ALPA or otherwise). Two wrongs never make a right.

True. Not saying it does but I see history repeating itself all over again with a cadre of very pissed off people at ALPA.

Boeingman said:

True. Not saying it does but I see history repeating itself all over again with a cadre of very pissed off people at ALPA.

Sadly, your observation is accurate and unfortunately there is more to come.

What's that about history repeating itself? We never seem to learn.

Latest resources

Back