• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Air, AMR Merger "within weeks"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You may be right about the arbitrators, but I don't think it's at all a foregone conclusion that the SLI integration goes to arbitration. USAPA and APA both have good reasons to try to keep it out of arbitration, so they may very well come to a negotiated agreement. If the arbitrators use the methodology from the NIC, it screws both East pilots and certain AA pilots. Then West sues for DFR and we get to see how that goes... a few years down the road.

I assume you mean that if USAPA/APA negotiate an agreement that disregards Nic that West will sue for DFR? Because that is exactly correct. And I think they would win. Which is why I'm not sure APA will be quick to negotiate an SLI with USAPA and expose themselves to that much legal liability.

Besides which, USAPA has proven they can't do ANYTHING but throw a tantrum, take their ball and go home so I don't think negotiations with APA would get very far.

What's that spell? A R B I T R A T I O N

USAPA and APA both have good reasons to try to keep it out of arbitration,...
Right. APA and the Easties also both expect to gain seniority from the SLI because they both feel entitled to compensation for their sacrifices. Going to arbitration is guaran-freakin-teed.
If the arbitrators use the methodology from the NIC, it screws both East pilots and certain AA pilots.
Every merger is different so making predictions is pointless. That being said, it's obvious the USAIR pilots have more to gain from a merger than AA.
Then West sues for DFR and we get to see how that goes... a few years down the road.
The power of a DFR suit is in gaining an injunction that halts the process. The APA couldn't care less about the East/West fight but they certainly care about the threat of a judge delaying things. The Westies have a court-proven DFR claim against USAPA so there's a reasonable likelihood of further success. The APA will simply be pragmatic and try to avoid that situation. How they do so remains to be seen.

How can AWA/AAA list be done under MB if the merger happen in 2005 and MB only is applicable to 2007 and on mergers? Is TWA going to get a second bite at the apple also?

I agree, quite important. When you get back we'll get you up to speed. Don't forget the principles you were sent to defend.

Hey idiot, he was not sent anywhere-he volunteered. More than your sorry ass has ever done I am sure.

Never agree to binding arbitration. Anything that the Union you pay money to tells you is the likely outcome is a lie. I know this from personal experience. My union told me they were fighting for DOH and they had a good chance at getting it-Then after it was all done and screwy-we found out that it had been over 25 years since an arbitrator had decided on DOH. So dont expect DOH-Arbitrators use CAT and class and then screw the furloughs.

TWA Dude - are you still furloughed AA? Think you'll get a choice of seniority numbers?

Yes, and no. I don't expect I'll be able to choose which seniority number sticks. Presumably the better one will be assigned which is what happened with the USAir furloughees who were flying at AWA.

That's kind of what I meant by choice of seniority numbers. That versus "you're active USAir so it's that number only". Of course your active number will probably be higher than your furloughed number.

Latest resources

Back