• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US 1549 ATC Audio

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anyone catch where the controller is trying to give 1549 LGA runway options for the third time and during the first seconds of mike being keyed you hear someone in the flight deck say: "Idiot......"

Anyone catch where the controller is trying to give 1549 LGA runway options for the third time and during the first seconds of mike being keyed you hear someone in the flight deck say: "Idiot......"

Now that you mention it, I did hear that...wonder if that was from the controller landline talking to someone else?

Isn't there some sort of Airmanship of the Year award? I think we have a winner for that one.

It's nice to be able to be proud of those in our profession. This crew is a reminder of how important it is to have pros in the cockpit.

Who was on the radio, btw?

I heard that too..sounded like it was the FO exclaiming that after one of the repeated offers of coming back to LGA even after he was told "unable."

It was Sully on the radio... he was PM on intial contact, then kept the radios while the FO was running the QRH and he flew.

I guess my take on the controller's actions is a little more critical.

Was anyone else a little surprised that he didn't clear him to land on any runway and give them the current winds? I don't think the controller grasped how critical the situation was until the end because he kept offering them runways requiring downwind legs even after they said they were unable to make 13 at LGA. It didn't really make a difference in the outcome, but it added more communication confusion at the most critical point.

And, when an aircraft that reports losing thrust in both engines asks about an airport in NJ, wouldn't it have made sense to tell him the distance and bearing to that airport? At least, that's what I've seen in other transcripts where a controller had to point an aircraft to the nearest piece of asphalt for an emergency landing.

Finally, check the transcript at 2029:28 where Sully says, "we're gonna be in the Hudson." The controller responds, "I'm sorry, say again Cactus," then gives a frequency change to Jetlink without waiting for a response. That was his last opportunity to figure out that they were going into the water.

Last edited:
how can a radar controller give a landing clearance off the bat like that. he has no clue if there's another plane slugging down the runway...

call me naive, but I always thought that was the job of the local controller up the tower cab.

It's another controller saying either "Eighty Echo" or "Eighty-Eight Echo." That's all.

Tape has been edited.

"...couldn't get it for you." Couldn't get what?

Sounds like he wanted to go straight back into path of departures and they turned him down forcing them into the Hudson.

Let us hear the whole tape! Unedited!

100-1/2

Latest resources

Back