Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
Does anyone know what exacly they're testing for as far as the 3rd-class medical? I forgot that I had taken some Claritin allergy tabs maybe a week prior to the exam. I don't use them often, just once in a while. Any chance this will show up??? Or, is everything fine once you are issued the certificate???

For a third class medical the examiner is only looking for blood and excess sugar in your urine. The AME discards your urine after this test. It is up to perspective employers to be DOT compliant and have you drug tested before employment.

flyifrvfr said:
For a third class medical the examiner is only looking for blood and excess sugar in your urine. The AME discards your urine after this test. It is up to perspective employers to be DOT compliant and have you drug tested before employment.

I see. So technically I could have smoked a whole lot of weed for weeks before the exam, and would have passed???

A single OTC antihistamine is authorized by the FAA for pilots when flying, if they have previously tested the medication and do not have any side effects. This antihistamine, Claritin, was formerly available by prescription only. It is the same medication as the prescription formulation Clarinex. See a summary of its effectiveness in the American Family Physician article, Desloratadine for Allergic Rhinitis (Nov 1, 2003).

The over-the-counter products such as chlorpheneramine (Clortrimaton, CTM) and diphenhydramine (Benadryl) found in many commercial products cause drowsiness. They are not permitted by the FAA and a pilot should wait at least twice as long as the dosing recommendation after the last dose to fly. For example, if the directions read take every six hours", the pilot should wait at least twelve hours after the last dose before considering flying. These medications may have subtle adverse effects for much longer in some individuals. Chronic treatment with over the counter antihistamines requires a 24 hour wait after the last dose before flying, according to the FAA Guide for Aviation Medical

stop sweating about the claritin and lay off the weed, that $hit makes you stupid.

Pretty much. The AME is not looking for drugs, you can tell this by the fact that the urine sample doesn't go to a lab. The doctor merely puts a color coded dip in your urine and looks for the color changes. If there is blood, the pink color shows up. I don't know the color for sugar though. A high sugar content means diabetes is possible.

Darn, I was going to ask you for a blunt. On second thought maybe I shouldn't ask you or I will find myself in the penalty box. The moderators lack a sense of humor and find everything I say is offensive.

UnAnswerd said:
Thank you both for the info. And no, I don't smoke weed.

So what then? Coke? Meth? Questions like that sound awefully suspect because if your not taking anything illegal, whats the prob? You really think you'll lose your mediacl because you took some Sudafed, come on.

UnAnswerd said:
Thank you both for the info. And no, I don't smoke weed.

denial / short term memory loss is a sure sign!
lay off the ghanga Marley, employers test for that $hit.

having those peanut butter munchie cravings at 0300? yeah.....

Latest resources

Back