Urine On Runways?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Delta3

I don't want to be disgusting, but I heard that they spray urine on the runway to melt the ice off, is this true?

delta-

You are probably thinking of UREA which is present in human and animal urine. UREA is sprayed on airport surfaces because it will melt ice much like salt will, but without the corrosive attributes of salt, which is an aviation concern.

No, they dont spray piss on the runway. They actually use a nitrogen based form of urea that is a very common agricultural fertilizer! The urea in our piss is there merely by a biochemical reaction in our guts. Cool huh?

I believe you are speaking of Urea, the most concentrated dry source of nitrogen.

Common industrial uses are in the production of resins and glues. Industrial resins are used in the manufacture of such forestry products as plywood and oriented strandboard.

Urea is used in the production of fiberglass insulation, forestry fertilization and on airport runways as a de-icer.

Urea Ammonium Nitrate liquid is also used in effluent treatment

Urea is produced through the reaction of ammonia (NH3)and carbon dioxide (CO2). The two are reacted together at high pressure at temperatures between 132° and 182° C (270° and 360° F). The urea solution from these reactions is a molten urea with a concentrate of about 80 percent. At this stage, the molten urea solution is further concentrated and then granulated to make dry urea.

I don't know about peeing on the runways but the LA Dodgers peed all over the interior of our aircraft when they found out we were flying the Marlins on that airplane also. Unfortunately my Dad used to play for the Brooklyn Dodgers, times have changed. There was over 50K worth of damage.

I usually just piss on the tires to mark my territory.

I think the concept of louvered cockpit doors was once raised to prevent this very act. Too many collection points.

the LA Dodgers peed all over the interior of our aircraft when they found out we were flying the Marlins on that airplane also ... There was over 50K worth of damage.

Unbelievable ... I hope your employer didn't have to foot the bill for that one. Farking iceholes ... this country is going to hell in a handbasket. :mad:

Minh

Latest resources

Back