• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

B747FR8DAWG

GIANT 747
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]UPS Orders 747-400 Freighters[/font]

UPS placed an order for eight new Boeing 747-400 freighters to handle its growing international volumes.

The carrier said it will take delivery of the aircraft between June 2007 and the end of 2008.

"These Boeing 747-400 freighters will allow UPS to smoothly increase capacity on its most important international 'trunk' routes connecting Asia, Europe and North America," said Bob Lekites, UPS vice president of airline and international operations.

UPS's export volume grew 18.2 percent in the second quarter, spurred on 39.5 percent gains in Asia.

UPS currently relies on MD-11 freighters to handle that traffic. It operates 20 MD-11s and has another eight on order. The 747-400, "which can handle a larger payload than the MD-11, will be used to 'upsize' MD-11 routes as international volume grows," UPS said.

Oops

I saw this was already covered in an earlier thread. Anyway, what kind of an impact will this have on the pending A380 order with Airbus?????

Well it helps keep the 747 line open so Boeing can develop the ADV

B747FR8DAWG said:
It operates 20 MD-11s and has another eight on order.

How can UPS have MD-11s "on order" when the production line has been closed down? The UPS & Boeing news releases both say it, but I don't get it.

norskman2 said:
How can UPS have MD-11s "on order" when the production line has been closed down? The UPS & Boeing news releases both say it, but I don't get it.

I think the Swiss airline MD11s are being converted to cargo versions so that is where the "on order" comes from.

:cool: Good to see that UPS is picking the original BIG DAWG!! A friend of mine that is at UPS seems to thing that they will back out of the order for the A380. He said that they only ordered it to get out of taking more A300's! Only time will tell, but NICE JOB BROWN!! Too bad it was not an order of about 15-20 aircraft will additional order's for the 777F!

B747FR8DAWG said:
I saw this was already covered in an earlier thread. Anyway, what kind of an impact will this have on the pending A380 order with Airbus?????

DATE:08/18/05
SOURCE:Flight International

UPS 747F order will complement, not change, A380 plans

Flight International online news 08:30 GMT: Package carrier UPS’s new Boeing 747-400 freighter order will be used to supplement capacity on routes already earmarked for the operator’s 10 Airbus A380s, which are scheduled for delivery in 2009.

The US cargo operator yesterday placed firm orders on eight 747-400Fs. Three of the aircraft are scheduled for delivery in 2007, starting in June. The other five are scheduled for 2008.

The company says both aircraft types will replace some Boeing MD-11 freighter routes connecting Asia, Europe and North America, in some markets allowing UPS “to use one aircraft to do the job of two MD-11’s.”

UPS relies on the MD-11F as its primary long-haul cargo carrier.

Last edited:
Let's see

UPS currently operates 727-200 (any 100's), 757 with R&R and P&W motors, 767's, 747-200's (any 100's), DC8's, A300's, MD11's. Now add 744's and A380's.

How do I get the fleet planning job at UPS? Stevie Wonder with a dart board could do a better job.

G4G5 said:
Let's see

UPS currently operates 727-200 (any 100's), 757 with R&R and P&W motors, 767's, 747-200's (any 100's), DC8's, A300's, MD11's. Now add 744's and A380's.

How do I get the fleet planning job at UPS? Stevie Wonder with a dart board could do a better job.

Your fleet plan is incorrect, we do not operate any 727-200s anymore, we still have 727-100s. We also have 747-100s still in service and should remain in service for the next 2-4 yrs. at least.

As far as fleet planning goes, you must remember that UPS is a trucking company first and foremost and ALL big decisions like aircraft purchases are made by the boxheads in ATL.

Last edited:
flew with a guy the other day, who has much better connections and relations with mgt. than little nothing me, brought up the same rumor/story that has been around for sometime.

story he mentioned was there was a group (team, committee-not sure what they are calling themselves) sniffing around to aquire another airline for lift.

just what was mentioned. not saying its fact but he did seem fairly convinced about it happening.

not sure if i should say hooray or bummer...

johnny
broadcasting live from jefferson co. lockup

Latest resources

Back